Laptop turns on but won't boot.

rsn4ke

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I have Lenovo Y510p which was exhibiting LCD cable problems (inverted/wrong colors when bending the lid under certain angles). The laptop was still under waranty so I sent the fully functional machine for repair.
JJCmd2G.jpg

I lost the warranty because the technician found traces of fluid in the laptop.
I knew about the spillage but I hoped it would not really be an issue becasue the spill occured a little over a year ago and the laptop, which I was using day in day out, was working just fine until the recent unrelated angle-dependent color artifacts.

The technician offered to replace many components including the outer cover, keyboard and motherboard whit totalled little over 230€ so I requested to be sent the machine back.

I got the laptop back, thinking "no problem, I'll just replace the cable myself", only to find out that the computer won't even boot now.

Pressing the power button appears to turn on the computer which does the following:

• The keyboard lights up and even responds to the Fn+Spacebar combination used to change the intensity of the keyboard backlight.
    The GPU fan turns on but switches off after 3-4 seconds.
    The HDD starts up.

The only way to turn the laptop off is by cutting its power or holding down the power button for a while.

However there is no video output, the LCD is completely blank, not even backlight.
I tried plugging the laptop into a TV via HDMI but the TV does not detect any signal. I tried waiting for a while, as if I was waiting for Windows to boot and then pressing the video output Fn combination but to no avail.

I also tried taking out the RAM modules

I have yet to try a regular VGA video output but I am affraid that it is going to be the same thing.

Everything seems to be pointing in bad motherboard direction but just as I mentioned before the computer was working without a hitch for more than a year after the little spill and magically decided to break down when I send it for repair.

The technician also send me a PDF with photos detailing his findings which can be found here http://

So is there anything else I can try or do to determine wether or not is this indeed a motherboard failure and not just some sloppy technician not putting everything back where it belongs after taking it apart after being denied charging me with replacement of components I did not need or want replaced? I mean the machine was working just fine when I was sending it away.

Mossygr

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
Hello. I am not sure but i think your problem is that windows dont boot. Your vga/hdmi port are vga/hdmi out so you cant see anything until your windows boot correctly. You have usb or cd recovery ; if you have it, we will try to boot windows with black screen ,is the only solution i can give you without technical check. Sorry for my english..

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

He gets no display, so I'm not following how you expect having recovery media will help at all.

Mossygr

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
The official recovery cd has preinstall all drivers needed. So if you boot it with the boot key with black screen after 10-15sec i think will see at tv the instalation/repair windows.

Mossygr

Estimable
Aug 7, 2015
He is trying to fix it alone. I try to give him one solution to fix it cause he ask for anything else to try. If this solution dont work he has to go to technical.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

If there is nothing on the display at all, then it's not a driver issue at all, thus, NO disc will fix the problem.

Obviously he is trying to fix it alone, otherwise he wouldn't have asked here, but unless he is confortable with completely stripping the laptop and putting it all back together, it's beyond his reach, which is why I suggested a repair shop.