Laptop Unexpected Shutdown - How To Check If Power Failure VS Overheat Issue?

Aug 29, 2018
I have a Razer Blade 14" 2014 that is reaching the point of things breaking down since it's several years old. Recently I started gaming again and I started getting unexpected shutdowns where the laptop just powers down without a BSOD, always when the game is running or if it's idle in the client and I web browse at the same time.

The battery is pretty much dead; I can barely unplug it for a few minutes before it dies, so I've basically been using it as a desktop. I just ordered a replacement and I am planning to check the thermal paste, dust, etc to take care of both potential issues, at the same time, since I have to open up the laptop to replace the battery anyway.

In the meantime, my question is this... Is there a way to find out which specific reason caused the unexpected shutdown? Particularly in the event viewer logs. So far the critical errors are all Event ID 41 Kernel-Power (63) Task Category, which I believe is just a generic log message for unexpected shutdowns; there are no errors shortly before the critical error log entries pointing to any reason. likely because they were unexpected shut downs, so the laptop had no time to record the reason on a log entry.

If anyone has any idea if I can pull that information from the event log or elsewhere, that would be great!

Aug 29, 2018
But it could also be from a power failure due to the faulty battery, no? And both issues would result similarly in the unexpected shutdown without BSOD, I believe.

Is there any indication in the event viewer logs as to which it could be?

Aug 29, 2018
Just an update; I just swapped in a new battery and repasted, but the problem still occurs.

The weird thing that I am running a temp monitor (CPUID HW Monitor) when testing it, and the temps are all low 80s max, which definitely shouldn't be hot enough to trip the shutdown fail safe for overheating... and it does it even if the computer just booted up cold and the game runs for a minute.

Anyone have any ideas? Otherwise, maybe a workaround, force throttling perhaps?