Laptop USB Booting Problem!

shoudy

Estimable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi, Guys, thought i'd ask again as i really need some help and have gained some more knowledge, my laptop will only boot up(and access bios) and if i disable legacy usb support in bios, i have two ports on my laptop a usb 2.0 and a 3.0, when it is disabled i can use the 2.0 but not the 3.0 and access bios freely..

Now your probably wondering how i accessed the bios to disable it in the first place, well the laptop will boot up fine (with legacy support enabled) and access bios, IF i have any usb device plugged in the 3.0, it will freeze in bios if i unplug it and then unfreeze if i put it back in, think of it like a usb pause button for the post and bios, BUT once windows is loaded i can remove it(with legacy support enabled), now i could solder on without the usb port working but i'm planning on selling the laptop soon and wont to get around this problem.

Other Notes.
.When legacy usb support is turned on, the usb 3.0 will not work in windows, but will show in bios if i have a device plugged in of course(so it doesn't freeze).
,Charging my phone or anything that needs power on that usb 3.0 port works fine regardless of different settings.
.I have flashed the bios and restored defaults
.I have not reseated the bios battery yet( but is that needed if i have flashed and restored defaults?)
.Laptop is in excellent condition and is a Asus x54c with windows 7 x64
.USB is not in the boot sequence

Any ideas of what is going on? Thankyou very much guys.

Lumia925

Estimable
Oct 16, 2014
If it locks up in the BIOS, it looks like a hardware problem (since you've already flashed the BIOS).
My HP computer has no trouble with USB ports, both USB legacy disabled or enabled (it doesn't let me boot from flash drives if i disable legacy support, but other than that, there's not difference.).
Does this happen with every USB device you plug in?
Try cleaning the problem USB ports. If you have a hair dryer, try blowing some hot air in the port. If you don't, try a can of compressed air.

reseting bios does not do the full job that removing the battery will do so I would try that.

Since selling the laptop anyways you can do a fresh install of windows on it, seems like it would have to be a motherboard defect.
Fortunately most people do not even know there is a usb 2.0 and 3.0 so they might not care.