Laptop uses stock Mic while headset is plugged in

Jul 19, 2018
hey guys, i need help
i have been using my new hyperx cloud stingers for less than one week and i'm pretty satisfied with it, but today i dicovered that whenever i use my headset, laptop uses stock mic and it doesn't use mic of the headset
only the mic, headphones work great, its nice stereo sound
i tried using the headset with phone and i'm 100% sure that it works perfectly fine on phone, but Laptop seems to have problem with MIC ONLY

model is Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming
it uses maxx audio pro software

Solution
Are you sure that the jack is input/output? If it is output only, then a mic will not work in it. If it is dual, then try checking in "Control Panel", then "Sound" and click on the "Playback" tab when the headset is plugged in. Does it show the mic? If not try right clicking on the white background of that window and make sure to check both disabled and disconnected to see if it shows then.

Should it still not work, and the device does have an input/output jack, or if the jack is indeed only output, then you have two options. Either get a headset that connects via USB. Which could be costly. Or get a 3.5mm to USB adapter, which they are pretty cheap, and connect through a USB port.
Are you sure that the jack is input/output? If it is output only, then a mic will not work in it. If it is dual, then try checking in "Control Panel", then "Sound" and click on the "Playback" tab when the headset is plugged in. Does it show the mic? If not try right clicking on the white background of that window and make sure to check both disabled and disconnected to see if it shows then.

Should it still not work, and the device does have an input/output jack, or if the jack is indeed only output, then you have two options. Either get a headset that connects via USB. Which could be costly. Or get a 3.5mm to USB adapter, which they are pretty cheap, and connect through a USB port.

Solution