Laptop volume level same for earphones and without

Driek132

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
I have no idea how exactly to phrase this, so I apologise for the weird title. What happens is that my volume level doesn't change accordingly to when I plug in and out my earphones, and I don't know whether this sort of settings are supposed to be default or not. Personally speaking I prefer to leave my laptop muted when my earphones are not in (ie the sound is playing through the laptop's speakers), but when I plug in earphones I prefer to hear sounds. When I do this on my phone or my previous laptop, the sound volume just changes to whatever it was before I plugged out the earphones.

For example, when I use my phone, it's usually muted as well. But when I plug in my earphones the volume automatically jumps to maybe 50%. When I plug out the earphones, the volume changes back to muted again.

This doesn't happen for my laptop. If my laptop was muted, when I plug in my earphones it will still be muted. When I raise the volume to 50% and then plug out my earphones, the volume will still remain at 50% and will blast whatever sounds are happening on my laptop (ie my laptop's speakers are working totally fine). It resulted in some embarassing situations before.

It's a small issue, but since I've become dependent on this switching of volume settings between plugging in earphones and not after using my phone and my previous laptop, it's become quite annoying that the same doesn't happen for this new laptop, especially when this thing's newer than any of my other devices that can do the same thing.

About my laptop, it's an Acer Aspire V15 Nitro, and the audio inputs and outputs devices all use the default Realtek High Definition Audio software. If any more information is needed feel free to ask.

Sorry for the long post, but if I could get even a sort of inkling of understanding or guidance where the issue could be coming from, I'll be really grateful. I'm not in the position to be able to run down to the store and ask for help with this small issue given my own hectic schedule at the moment, so that'll be a last resort for me. Once again, thanks in advance for all your help.

Solution
When your headphones are in, right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar.

Next click "Open Volume Mixer".

On this screen you should see levels for all devices that are using sounds. (Speakers, Headphones, System Sounds, your browser, etc.,) Anything that is currently using, or able to use, sounds will be listed. If you move the level on the individual items it will change the sound levels just for that. You should be able to then set the headphones to one level and the speakers to another.
When your headphones are in, right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar.

Next click "Open Volume Mixer".

On this screen you should see levels for all devices that are using sounds. (Speakers, Headphones, System Sounds, your browser, etc.,) Anything that is currently using, or able to use, sounds will be listed. If you move the level on the individual items it will change the sound levels just for that. You should be able to then set the headphones to one level and the speakers to another.

Solution