Solved! Laptop Wakes Up & Turns Off When Moved

BananaCreamPie7

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016
Hello,

In the past couple weeks I have had issues with my laptop (Acer Aspire v5-561p-6823), which is almost 4 years old now.

First I started experiencing issues with my charger. If I moved my charger the laptop would stop charging. I got a new charger & it helped, however every now and again it will stop charging. Then I adjust the charger and it starts charging again.

Then I started to notice an issue when I moved between classes. I would close my laptop and put it in my bag then when I pulled my laptop out of my bag it would be turned off instead of asleep, and I would have to fully boot my computer.

After a couple days of this my computer refused to sleep at all. If I closed the laptop lid the computer would power down & if I went into the start menu and selected 'Sleep' it would power down completely as well.

After playing with the power options for a couple days it was determined that that was not the issue.

In an attempt to fix the issue I flashed my BIOS with the latest update.

Now my computer will sleep if I close the lid, however if I pick up my laptop (while closed & asleep) I will note the LED indicator lights turn on (as if it has powered on) and then all go out (as if it shut down). And lo and behold the computer is completely turned off and needs to be booted up.

And now I am at a loss as to what it could be.

I at one point ordered a new battery to try but it ended up not being the exactly right battery. So I have not be able to confirm or deny if it is the battery.

Is there any ideas of what to try next? Or is replacing the battery my next best option?
Please let me know if you have any ideas, thank you!!!

Solution
You said that if you moved/adjusted the charger it would start or stop charging. Instead of moving the charger around, just focus on the plug end at the laptop. Don't be rough or anything, but if you gently push on it is there any unusual give? Does the charge light go on and off if you push in a specific direction?

BananaCreamPie7

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

What would be the best way to check for a loose charging port?

TMTOWTSAC

Estimable
Jun 27, 2015
You said that if you moved/adjusted the charger it would start or stop charging. Instead of moving the charger around, just focus on the plug end at the laptop. Don't be rough or anything, but if you gently push on it is there any unusual give? Does the charge light go on and off if you push in a specific direction?

Solution

BananaCreamPie7

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

Plug seems to be fine.
That really hasn't been an issue since I got the new charger. So I would assume it was an issue with the old charger. It actually hasn't happened in a couple days.