Laptop will not boot with keyboard ribbon plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

09jblatz

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
After some trial and error I found that the laptop I was working on would not boot as long as the keyboard ribbon was plugged into the motherboard. The laptop lights will come on for only a split second and then loses power when the keyboard is installed. I'm assuming it's the connection on the motherboard but I don't have a second keyboard to test. I'm repairing this for a friend and would hate to have them buy a mobo and it be the keyboard, or the other way around. Does anyone have any suggestion for me? On a side note, It was freezing really bad for him so I reinstalled windows 8.1 and drivers. I woke up and it was off, I assumed it had went into sleep mode. I packed it up and brought it to work to install programs while I'm standing around. Upon arriving at work, I plug in the laptop and it wont boot. Any suggestion?

Solution
Hi,

I actually had the same problem with yours, what I just did is to replace the keyboard and that fixed the problem. I had to use an external keyboard (USB) when waiting for the replacement and it also worked great.

09jblatz

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015

Thanks for the reply, the keyboard is on the way! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.