Laptop Windows 7 Home Premium consistently disconnecting from Wifi

rinamiwashley

Prominent
Nov 15, 2017
Hello! I am really hoping that somebody can help me resolve this issue!

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron N7010 with Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit).
It is continuously disconnecting me from my wifi for maybe 20 or 30 seconds, and then reconnects again all on its own. At first there's a yellow star for connections available, and then it quickly changes to a red X, for no connections available. Then, the 20-30 seconds pass and it connects itself again. Problem is, it is doing this every 10/15/20/30 minutes. Every time I think it has fixed itself it disconnects me again.

It isn't the router... two phones, a laptop, and an Xbox are all able to connect and stay connected with no problems.

I am unsure of exactly when it started doing this, I primarily use my laptop for games and other internet-browsing purposes. However, I was using Origin to play Sims4 and I recall several times when a pop-up would come up saying I was now playing offline. I didn't think anything of it, I thought the game was just being buggy due to me not playing it for a while. This was about 2 weeks ago.

Now, I was trying to install Steam yesterday (11/14/2017) to download an RPG called TERA. This is when I actually started seeing it disconnect and reconnect me because it kept interrupting the installation process. But if it was doing this while I was on Sims4 then it's been doing it for about 2 weeks.
My laptop is roughly 6 years old. I have rarely ever had any problems with it.

Here is what I have already done: 1. I have went into Device Manager and un-checked the boxes that said "allow computer to turn off this device to save power".
2. I have went into command prompt and did a netsh winsock reset, followed by restarting my laptop.
3. I have reset my router several times.
4. I have completely removed the wifi connection itself, restarted my computer, and added the wifi connection back on again.
5. I went through my installed programs and uninstalled any that didn't look right or that I didn't think I needed.
6. I have went through my device driver software and made sure they were all up to date, and I have also made sure system updates were installed.

None of these things have fixed the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I could really use the help! Thanks in advance.

Side-note, I have a second wifi connection that is stronger (5G) and I was going to try using that, but my laptop can't even find it to connect to it, even doing a manual set-up. The two phones and other laptop can, though. Anyone have any ideas about that? Thanks!

Solution
Try connecting via Ethernet rather than WiFi and see if it stays connected.

If it does, then your WiFi card is either somehow not connecting correctly (which could just require reconnecting it) or it is going and is going to need replacing. If replacing is necessary, then you can either look to replace the internal card, or look into an external WiFi one (which would connect to the computer via USB).

Note: If the laptop is under warranty and this is happening, I would contact the manufacturer about the issue.
Try connecting via Ethernet rather than WiFi and see if it stays connected.

If it does, then your WiFi card is either somehow not connecting correctly (which could just require reconnecting it) or it is going and is going to need replacing. If replacing is necessary, then you can either look to replace the internal card, or look into an external WiFi one (which would connect to the computer via USB).

Note: If the laptop is under warranty and this is happening, I would contact the manufacturer about the issue.

Solution