Laptop with a mechanical port connector?

Black_Blade

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
I run a laptop automotive scanner and laptop based digital storage oscilloscope for use in our garage and am running into issues of the usb connection getting sloppy and losing connection..usually right in the middle of a test. I have adjusted the clip tension on the usb ports and it has helped but still have too many problems. Was wondering if its possible to have a laptop with a screw on connector like those rs 232 ones anymore? And if I can, would it work ok my test equipment (using a usb to 232 converter on end of their cables).

Get a used Lenovo T or X series, I sell quite a bit of those to automotive and other techs. Lenovo X60 with a docking station will give you a small system with RS232 port, or for something a bit newer, Lenovo T420 has an ExpressCard and along with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158033&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-PC+Cards%2FPCMCIA+Add-on+Cards-_-N82E16839158033&gclid=CNP5zsjB4s8CFQQvaQodxLcKKA&gclsrc=aw.ds you have a non-USB connection.

I don't recommend them because I tend to sell them, I sell them because I recommend them LOL

90% of my laptop work outside of actual work is for friends and family, I want to make sure they have the most solid system for the price. I'd take a used ThinkPad over almost any other laptop in the same price range that's new. There is no 3-500 system that can match a T430-440 in the price range, and with a new hard drive, they will run for years. And since those are corporate systems, they have long term support from Lenovo for drivers and parts.

Black_Blade

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014

Where or how do you go about getting a better USB connector? This HP laptop has a single 3.0 and two 2.0 ports. Only way I could think to make it a better connector would be to have a USB connector with those two side screws to secure it solidly to the computer. I run Auto Enginuity automotive laptop scanning software and Hantek 1008C digital storage scope software.

Black_Blade

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014

How successful would it be, to use a female USB to RS 232 on the end of my usb cable coming from my two tools?

I don't think I have ever seen an RS 232 to a female USB connections.

Do these tools have a USB or RS 232 connection? A bit confused about what you are trying to do here? Do you just want a better seated USB connection or a RS 232 connection?

Why not just use some electrical tape and tape the USB cable in place better if you just want your USB ports not to release so easily? Or mount the cable to a desk so the stress is on that locking part and won't pull away from the laptop. This http:// to the table, connect cable to that with tape or thread it around it or velcro or something. Or use a velcro loop around the cable and a table leg to hold it in place.

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
It is most likely not the connector. Its the usb chipset and Windows being a birch and putting it in low power mode which ends up disconnecting it. My newest laptop does the same to my hard drives. If I don't touch them for 15-20 min, the next time I hit it it disconnects and reconnected. I havnt figured out a fix yet.

Black_Blade

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
Do these tools have a USB or RS 232 connection? A bit confused about what you are trying to do here? Do you just want a better seated USB connection or a RS 232 connection?

The tools have regular USB cables, that's why was just thinking about possible ways to make the connection to the laptop more secure and the only thing I could recall was those RS 232's that actually screwed onto the computer. Not sure why they don't design USB connections like this as well for applications where the cable could be moved about causing a weakened, sloppy port. As far as securing the USB cable to a tabletop etc, that wouldn't work either since you are then not mobile with your diagnostic equipment (test driving with scanner attached). If I JB Weld it to the laptop, well then it may very well be a secure connection but if something happens to the cable requiring it to be replaced, that would be a whole lot of fun getting it off the computer..lol.

Black_Blade

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014

I sure hope this isn't the case, for my only option then would be to drop big money on the dedicated automotive scanner and having spent $$ on this laptop version scanner and it being a waste.:fou: