Solved! How to connect newer USB-C laptop to older E-port dock (with no USB-C)

Feb 5, 2019
Hi,

I have an e-port docking station with two monitors connected. I've since been issued a new laptop without any docking pins underneath it - but it has USB-C.

The e-port has Displayport and HDMI but no USB-C connection. With both monitors connected to the e-port, as before, would it work if I used a USB-C to Displayport converter from the laptop into the e-port?

I'm OK with running a separate power supply for the laptop and the e-port, if needed. Just hoping I don't need to get a new dock.

Thank you; I appreciate the help.

Solution
Hi,

I have an e-port docking station with two monitors connected. I've since been issued a new laptop without any docking pins underneath it - but it has USB-C.

The e-port has Displayport and HDMI but no USB-C connection. With both monitors connected to the e-port, as before, would it work if I used a USB-C to Displayport converter from the laptop into the e-port?

I'm OK with running a separate power supply for the laptop and the e-port, if needed. Just hoping I don't need to get a new dock.

You can't use the old style dock with the new laptops. You either need a USB C dock or connect the monitors directly to the system. The dock works from the docking connector, connecting one of the...
Feb 5, 2019

Thank you. I'll try the USB-C to Displayport adapter.

Hi,

You can't use the old style dock with the new laptops. You either need a USB C dock or connect the monitors directly to the system. The dock works from the docking connector, connecting one of the dock video ports to the laptop won't do anything. You need to connect the USB C to DisplayPort adapter to the monitor.

From the sounds of things, if you were "issued" this laptop, means it came from your job, in that case the same people should also supply you with the correct dock to use with it.

Last edited:
Solution