laptop with a proper keyboard

kotekzot

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
hello. i'm looking to buy a laptop with a proper vanilla keyboard. no extra keys or else anything to get in the way. it seems there are some laptops like this, but they are mostly very powerful and thus have a short battery life. i will mostly use it for typing text, some web-surfing, an occasional video and a bit of programming (nothing too resource-intesive, probably just python/php). size and weight aren't very important. i'll probably use linux on it, so not having to pay for a windows license would be a big bonus.

in short:
■a proper keyboard
■long battery life
■reasonable specs, but nothing fancy
■no included costs for software (linux)

kotekzot

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
lenovo laptops sure look fancy and sleek, but are too expensive for a glorified typewriter (which is what i'm looking for), as well as not having the real proper keyboard. here's what i'm looking for ideally: link. thanks for you suggestion though.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I wouldn't know. I like laptop keyboards (scissor type key connectors) and I have no inkling of what you could mean by "extra keys"

frozenlead

Distinguished
If you're really that stuck on using some specific keyboard, just go buy a keyboard in store after trying it out, and then plug it into the notebook via USB. There's no way to quantify the feeling of the keyboard.

kotekzot

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

basically what i want is a standard 104 keyboard, like the one in the image i linked.

i'm talking about the keys and their arrangement on they keyboard. i'd rather have a single device to haul around than two, but if there are no laptops with proper 104 keyboard i just might buy an eeepc and a keyboard for it.

kotekzot

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008

basically what i want is a standard 104 keyboard, like the one in the image i linked.

i'm talking about the keys and their arrangement on they keyboard. i'd rather have a single device to haul around than two, but if there are no laptops with proper 104 keyboard i just might buy an eeepc and a keyboard for it.