Laptop won't boot

waynemcdonagh

Estimable
Nov 17, 2014
Hi guys so my Asus X551MA, 4 GB RAM running windows 8 64-bit won't boot. I bought it two months ago and I dropped it last week, ever since it just enters the bios menu. At first I tried using a boot disk which my computer wouldn't recognise and then I tried booting from a usb and that was also unsuccessful. I checked several forums with similar problems, but none of the solutions seemed to work. When I try re-installing the OS I get an error message telling me that a required piece of hardware cannot be recruited. The error code given doesn't seem to turn up any results on searches. At this point I am guessing that the hard drive is fucked, but to be honest I really haven't clue. I was going to open it up last might, but I couldn't find my high precision screwdrivers. Does anyone know what's wrong? Thanks.

Solution
You typically need another PC to create the discs on.

Get hold of an ISO for 8 and burn it to a DVD or USB stick (or just get a DVD). Boot off it. If it doesn't show your HDD (this is the only thing you might need drivers for, but you probably won't need it.), download them from the manufacturer's website and stick them on a USB drive. It should have a button on the page asking you where you want to install it.

alphakai

Estimable
Jan 5, 2015

This is the OP I can't seem to access my account right now, but I though I'd update it hoping someone could help. So I opened up the machine and it seems the hard drive was damaged by the fall. Everything else looks normal, I intend to replace the HDD with an old one I have from a windows 7 machine. The thing is given my current bios (I can't update without an OS because flashing the bios isn't working) I cannot boot from disk or usb so I have to perform a clean install of windows 8. I am not sure how to do this, I have googled it and found instructions, but they specify how to do it with a functioning OS, I have no OS, I have the drivers on a usb, but not really sure how to add them to the HDD, do I just add a folder called drivers and let the OS detect them? Sorry if these questions are idiotic, but I have toiled away google searches and I'm still no closer to fixing this machine. By the way I was going to return it, but I couldn't find my receipt.

You typically need another PC to create the discs on.

Get hold of an ISO for 8 and burn it to a DVD or USB stick (or just get a DVD). Boot off it. If it doesn't show your HDD (this is the only thing you might need drivers for, but you probably won't need it.), download them from the manufacturer's website and stick them on a USB drive. It should have a button on the page asking you where you want to install it.

Solution