Solved! Laptop wont charge past 69%

garrett.nerone

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
I have a Asus UX360CA that is about 11 months old. Recently it would only charge to about 83% but now it cant even get passed 69%. It says 32 minutes until full charge but eventually gives the message "plugged in, not charging"

I have the skill set to do a battery replacement but would rather not as battery wear appears to only be 9% (seems acceptable for 11 months) Any suggestions ideas?

Solution
It is possible it is the battery, they can go sooner than that, but it is rather odd. It could also be the charger.

Try charging it while the laptop is off. Not sleep or hibernate, but actually turned off. If it will charge then, your charger is the problem. If, however, it still doesn't charge it, it is likely the battery.

Before doing the work yourself, check with the manufacturer about the replacement. The device may still be under warranty.
It is possible it is the battery, they can go sooner than that, but it is rather odd. It could also be the charger.

Try charging it while the laptop is off. Not sleep or hibernate, but actually turned off. If it will charge then, your charger is the problem. If, however, it still doesn't charge it, it is likely the battery.

Before doing the work yourself, check with the manufacturer about the replacement. The device may still be under warranty.

Solution

garrett.nerone

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018

I have an universal charger I could try. It got up to 75% overnight but nothing more. Crazy!!

garrett.nerone

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
I'm thinking the charger is bad because my charging rate is very inconsistent. According to Battery Bar the charging rate fluctuates from about 12,000 mW to 6,000 mW to 0 mW within a minute

I have a similar situation with my Sister's HP Envy. I couldn't get it to charge past about 58%. I changed out the power settings to performance and to never turn off the screen/put the computer to sleep. I left the screen on and it finally started charging past 58%. Got it up to 98% before I had to call it. Now I'm going to use it until the battery drains completely and then try to charge it normally to see how far it gets (if anywhere).

-Wolf sends

Edit: I'd also note that watching the charging status, it does pause from time to time where I'll see the "Plugged In, Not Charging" message.

garrett.nerone

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018

I have been trying the same thing but I can only get up to 80%