Laptop wont connect to any TV's via HDMI

ellyottpoulter

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
I have recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 - stupidly. I have previously used this laptop to stream my working onto my LG TV via HDMI. This has worked for many years, over many different laptops, and now, today it stops working. i have also tried my Packard Bell PC, again, nothing.

when i plug in the HDMI I get a black screen, then it comes back and a No Connection error comes onto the TV Screen.

I have tried another HDMI, I have as above mentioned tried a different output. I have tried installing the driver but that messed up my screen, so i had to restart the laptop. Ive been sat here trying all of these different things that you wonderful people are suggesting, with no success at all.

I really hope someone out there has the issue to my incredibly frustrating issue

Solution
OK so im no tech person by far..but what worked for me was simply this...
step 1: turn on your laptop and tv.
step 2: change your TV channel to the Incorrect hdmi input (make sure you actually do know the correct hdmi input tho)
step 3: plug the hdmi cable into your laptop and TV
step 4: hit the windows key and the letter P on your laptop at the same time to pull up the projector menu (or search for and open the projector menu yourself)
step 5: select "duplicate" or "extend" or whatever option you want to display. (I selected "duplicate." DON'T exit out the projector menu.
step 6: now change your TV channel to the correct hdmi input. you should now see your laptop screen on the tv. then you're free to exit out the projector menu and...

the great randini

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
you say you tried another hdmi. were you talking about cable or an output on the laptop? Most times it is the cable that is the issue. I had one last week were the pc could see the tv but not display the desktop. I purchased a new cable and all was well.

what resolution is the laptop set at? are you mirroring or extending. some times if the laptop has a lower or higher resolution then the tv it will not display.

ellyottpoulter

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

What is GPU? I tried to re install the Graphics Card on device manager but this just bricked my screen and had to do a reset on the computer.

ellyottpoulter

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

I have tried a brand new cable, which i happened to buy last week! and I am not sure what resolution it is set at, is there one which should mean that it will connect?

the great randini

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
click start type dxdiag.exe
press enter

this will run the direct x test and list your graphics card (also known as gpu).

click start
type this pc
right click on this pc and select manage
click on device manager

do you see any yellow question marks or exclamation points?

>is there one which should mean that it will connect?

only one that is supported by both displays, but if you are unsure you should press the windows key + p and select extended to eliminate this as a possible problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_key

ellyottpoulter

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

No, no Yellow Marks

Proofy

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014

Exactly that, once you upgrade to windows 10 you have to re-install you graphic drivers since they are different on windows 10 and windows 7. Check through device manager what gpu you have using the steps the great randini provided. Once you find the model of your gpu download its driver for windows 10 (x32 or x64bit depending on which windows 10 bit version you installed)

Proofy

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014

Did you read what GPU you have under Display adapters in device manager ?

ellyottpoulter

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016

Intel (R) HD Graphics 4000, i dont even know if this is the right thing....

Proofy

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
It is, install intel vga driver again from your laptop offical website under. You will just need a model of your laptop which is written somewhere on the laptop case ( check on the plastic under the battery)

diandrakelly16

Commendable
Apr 22, 2016
OK so im no tech person by far..but what worked for me was simply this...
step 1: turn on your laptop and tv.
step 2: change your TV channel to the Incorrect hdmi input (make sure you actually do know the correct hdmi input tho)
step 3: plug the hdmi cable into your laptop and TV
step 4: hit the windows key and the letter P on your laptop at the same time to pull up the projector menu (or search for and open the projector menu yourself)
step 5: select "duplicate" or "extend" or whatever option you want to display. (I selected "duplicate." DON'T exit out the projector menu.
step 6: now change your TV channel to the correct hdmi input. you should now see your laptop screen on the tv. then you're free to exit out the projector menu and adjust your display resolution higher or lower as needed. this worked for me. I have an Acer windows 10 laptop and an Element brand tv.
hope that helps!

Solution

teoconnorjr

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

teoconnorjr

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Had same problem after buying new 75 inch Vizio 4k Ultra tv for Christmas. Two solutions: used an hdmi cable with a snug fit into the hdmi output port of the laptop; and for some reason, to use the hdmi input port on the new tv, when connected by the hdmi cable from the laptop, I get the "No connection" message on the tv ( after selecting the correct input channel on the tv ) unless I turn off the tv, wait a few moments, then turn it back on, all with the hdmi cable connected at both the tv and the laptop; then the content on the laptop ( after using the F8 function button on my laptop to select the both-screens option), appears on the tv. On my two year old tv, a wonderful Sharp 60 inch lcd, I had not had to turn if off and then back on to get the laptop content to appear on it. Don't know why, but this works and it is no big deal as I don't use the laptop to throw content onto the new tv very often, though may in the future given the hdmi output toggle when used with the iphone8.