Laptop won't connect to Internet using Ethernet Cable

Brooke2

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
Hi, I saw this asked before, but did not seem to find the answer.. All of a sudden, my laptop will not connect to the Internet with the Ethernet Cable. I ran a diagnostic and it said it was the cable. But, I used the same cable on another laptop and there was no problem connecting. I also tried a new cable and that is not working. Sometimes, it will connect if I move it a certain way and hold it. I looked for the Ethernet Adapter to see if it was enabled, but could not find it, I have Windows 7. Thank you for your help

Solution
If you can "hold" the cable "just so" then there is either a problem with the cable or a problem with the socket on the laptop. Get a flashlight and look in the socket. There should be 8 wires all parallel and equal. Are they all there and all straight? If the wires in the socket look OK, then you may have broken a solder joint or board trace by flexing it. No way to know.

kanewolf

Judicious
If you can "hold" the cable "just so" then there is either a problem with the cable or a problem with the socket on the laptop. Get a flashlight and look in the socket. There should be 8 wires all parallel and equal. Are they all there and all straight? If the wires in the socket look OK, then you may have broken a solder joint or board trace by flexing it. No way to know.

Solution

Brooke2

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

Brooke2

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
Hi Kanewolf! Thank you for the information. I will get my flashlight, but am curious as to why the Ethernet Adapter does not work either. I had the same issue with an old laptop and purchased the adapter to use in the USB ports. It does not work on this computer. I keep getting the cable wire is not attached when I run the troubleshooting, Also, is a broken solder joint or board trace a major repair? Thank you so much.