Laptop won't recognize USB drive.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Hi there. Move this post if it's not in the right place.

I have a Dell Studio 17 and it absolutely won't recognize any usb devices. both in bios and in windows. I am trying to wipe it and have a fresh install of windows to give it to my mother but I can only install windows from USB becuase I don't have any DVD's I can burn the ISO to. That, and the fact that it won't recognize USB is not a good thing in general. Below are pics of the bios which is the latest version available for the system. as you can see in the bios under BOOT it shows USB as a device that can be booted from but when I enter the boot manager by pressing F12 when loading up the computer it doesn't show USB as a choice because it's not recognizing that one is plugged in. I have tried changing boot order and the like but nothing works and not even windows will recognize the device. I have tried 5 different USB drives all of different manufacturers and sizes and it won't recognize anything both as being a bootable USB device and as a blank drive. Yet all of these drives show up and work fine on 3 other systems so I know for a fact that it's this system that is having the issue not the drive. Is there a setting in bios I am overlooking? or do you think that the usb funtion on BOTH usb ports on the laptop are failed and will no longer work ever? or perhaps there's another solution? could it be a corrupt bios? should I reflash it? any advice is appreciated, thank you.

here is a link to the album with the 4 pics on my google.
https://goo.gl/photos/RqrMrAPfZR8W4U7N6

two things to look for. one look for secure boot in the bios if it on you wont be able to boot from a usb stick. it make to turn off the usb ports so you cant copy anything from the laptop. also check in the bios that efi and legacy devices is on. in the boot order that you showed us you have to put the plus next to usb or remvable devices as the boot device you want. also make sure you used the microsoft iso to usb tool. sometime 3 party tools dont work on making a bootable usb stick. also if your hard drive data is still there the laptop vendors now put a hidden restore partion there that at power up or in the bios you can reset the laptop to when it was new for free.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

those pictures I took were after I loaded the defaults for the bios after changing stuff around. also, not even windows itself will recognize usb devices. I can't use a flash drive, i can't plug in and charge my ipod or anything. it's almost like the usb ports are disabled somehow but the option to enable usb ports in bios is enabled (or that they aren't disabled but dead). and I don't see anything in the bios about selecting efi/legacy. I used both rufus usb and win7 usb/dvd it's the system seems to not be recognizing usb at all period (not just specifically a bootable usb) on both the bios level and OS level. OH, and the + symbol is to let you know if that menu option can be exapanded to see more. here is a pic of how it looks when I press enter on it.
Also, everything I have pictures for in the folder I shared is every option screen in my bios.

the pic is here:
https://goo.gl/photos/543QDqJ5PKgFdh2Z9