Laptop won't shut down after SSD upgrade

Petar_7

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Hello,

I just put an SSD in my Asus laptop in the place of the old HDD and installed Windows 10 on it. It was all working fine until I put the old HDD in the place of the cdrom drive. What happens then is that the laptop does not shut down, restart or go to sleep properly. In partuclar the screen goes black but the laptop is still working.

The only error in the logs that seemed to be related is: "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: cdrom". However, I imagine this happens when the computer turns on. Morever I changed the startup state of the related registry to Manual and this particular error did not appear in the logs anymore but my main problem persisted.

I also tried installing Windows 7, but it had the same effect. Removing the HDD and putting the cd drive back removes the problem so it is definitely something to do with that. I still have the windows installation on my old drive, but doubt that this is causing the problem.

I would really appreciate it if somebody suggests what the problem might be or if I have missed something.

Petar_7

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Thanks for the suggestion. I have set the boot device to be the new SSD from the BIOS before putting the old HDD in the tray.

Maybe the problem is really caused by the HDD having a windows install on it despite not being listed as a boot device. I will format that section and see if fixes the issue.

I will post an update once finished.

shadazz

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Hi, i just made an account. I think it might be a problem with the caddy. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/hp-elitebook-8560p-wont-shutdown.655065/

Petar_7

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Hello again and thank you for the suggestions. So the things I tried since yestrday are:
- using another caddy as described in the notebookreview.com thread
- updating the BIOS version
- removing the windows install from the old HDD
- using two different HDDs I found elsewhere to make sure the problem is not from having an SDD and HDD (quite silly thought but I was desperate at this point)
- using another anti-virus software (rather than Avast) because I read somewhere it may be causing some issues like this...

And none of these fixed the issue. The only explanation I have right now is that there is some fault with my motherboard, which makes it unable to support to hard-drives on the laptop. The laptop model is K55 VJ which is not the most recent, but I would have imagined it could support two HDDs. At this point I am out of ideas and shall use the old HDD as an external drive whenever I need it until I come up with something else to try.

Cheers all for trying to help - I appreciate it (y)