Laptop wont start.

boston_USNR

Estimable
Feb 1, 2016
I guess I'll start with a brief issue and give some background into why I'm in this situation now. Keep in mind I'm not a computer person in a construction worker.
Issue: my laptop wont start period. Clicks a few times, some lights turn on but nothing turns over . Almost like starting a car but the engine won't turn over, it just clicks.

Background: My old man bought this laptop off criegslist. He said it worked for a few weeks then started freezing.
When I got the laptop I noticed it only froze when I pulled up the Internet browser. I then realized a note at the bottom the the windows Operating System need to be verified or whatever. So as I started that the computer froze 3 time while entering the code. I had to keep doing a hard reset. Finally completed I noticed it froze again. While in the robot process a screen poped up saying the CMOG OR something like that's was wrong. Did a few sec. Of researched fixed that to only have it freeze again. After another reboot the first screen said I need to check my battery calibration. So now it froze there as well. Not it won't turn on at all. It clicks, light turn on but then crashes.

It's an ASUS a6000 series. I have 3 other laptops so it's not a big deal just want to find out how to fix it

Hi,

When your laptop freezes up it could either be a hardware problem (HDD or motherboard) or software (Viruses or Windows itself). Please do try these troubleshooting steps to help identify the issue.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then see if it would boot up normally.
- Next is to reseat the RAM if using a different AC adapter will not work. Remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- If these doesn't work, do check the AC adapter if it's supplying enough voltage or try another AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will boot up normally.
- Do also connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it or not.
- And if all these will not work the problem lies inside the motherboard itself.

Here's a video tutorial as well on how to disassemble your laptop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-x2rBjhDjo

Cloudy1

Honorable
Jan 21, 2016

Wondering if it's also worth trying to boot to safe mode and running MalwareBytes or similar?

Only computing references I find about CMOG is Win32/Kryptik.CMOG Virus which along with the reference to the browser could indicate malware - unless of course CMOG is a typo (thinks CMOS perhaps?).

Purchased from craigslist...."the windows Operating System need to be verified" = dodgy Windows maybe?

Just a few thoughts there.