Laptop (XPS 15 9570) display has low response rate and causing eye strain

Valachio

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15 9570 with the FHD (1080p) display.

This screen seems to have a very low response time. Doing any sort of scrolling leaves a very noticeable ghosting (blurry) effect.

It's annoying and I'll be okay with it, except I have been getting serious eye strains using it.

Within just 15-20 minutes of use. I can feel pressure in the back of my eyes. It forces me to get up and look out the window. This is really annoying because I'm a programmer and it constantly distracts me from focus.

I also find that after using the screen for 1 hour or more, when I get up and do other things, my eyes have trouble focusing on other objects.

I really would prefer not to return the laptop (I still can), since that'll cost a lot of time.

My question is this:

1. Will my eyes get used to the blurry scrolling, and no longer get eye strains?
2. Is there some way for me to adjust display settings for a better experience?
3. Is this normal, or is it possible that I have a defective display? There are no other issues with the display apart from this.

P.S. I am pretty disappointed that a $1500 laptop has such a mediocre screen

Try disabling Intel's refresh rate switching. In the start menu, search for Intel Graphics Control Panel. (You're supposed to be able to launch it by right-clicking the desktop, but I've noticed it often disappears after Windows Update updates it.)

Start Intel Graphics Control Panel. Click on Power. The lower option should be for dynamically switching the panel's refresh rate to save power. Disable it.

I dunno how much power Intel saves with this stuff, but on the whole I've found its powersave options to be more annoying than useful. For example, the settings on the top half (Display power saving technology) makes your screen auto-dim in a really annoying manner. I've disabled it as well.

Valachio

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

I tried installing Intel Graphics Control Panel and it gave me an error saying that I have legacy software installed.

Either way I don't believe the problem is the refresh rate (I double checked and it's at 60Hz). The problem is the response time of the display.