AshtonK

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Hi Tom's Guide,

I've been doing a lot of research around VR ready laptops with the desktop GTX 980 card. (I know I can get a better pc for half the price but I really want the portability). I'm a video editor and getting into VR game design so I am trying to get as much graphic rendering power as I can get in a laptop. And I'm an Apple convert so paying under $3k for a maxed out workhorse laptop is good with me. All of the following have Intel i7 6820HK and NVIDIA GTX 980:

1) CyberPower's Fangbook 4 SK-X17 XTREME G-SYNC GAMING LAPTOP comes in at the cheapest, but I've heard mixed feelings about CyberPower ($2450)
32GB Memory, M.2 Sata 480GB SSD, 1TB HDD

2) Acer Predator 17X GX-791-73FH - Cant find reviews on the GTX 980 version but seems like a well liked brand ($2700)
32GB Memory, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD

3) Aorus X7 DT - much more compact design, less memory - don't know how reliable of a brand ($2800)
16GB Memory, 512GB SSD, 1TB HDD

4) MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G Dragon - Brand is well liked but the reviews for this model are mixed due to intermittent crashing, also most expensive (Currently Out of Stock/Back Ordered $2999 - $3099)
listed with 16 or 32GB Memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD

XOTIC Sager NP9870-S1 is also an option at 16GB 256SSD 1TB HDD - not sure on brand ($2600)

Asus is $1-2k more expensive.

Anybody have any experience with any of these computers or using them for VR purposes? Anybody have an opinion on brand since this is a high ticket item? You can try to deter me from going this route if you want... :^) Thanks for any and all thoughts in this area!

AshtonK

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

I know that. These have the laptop version of the desktop gtx980... not the gtx 980m

Sandman1804

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Just an opinion, but MSI and Sager/Clevo are the 2 best gaming laptop brands. With any gaming rig reviews, you're going to see a mixed bag. Most crashing issues come from overclocking, which a lot of people don't specify they've done when writing a review. Personally, I'm a Sager/Clevo guy. Owned 2 gaming laptops from them with zero issues.

That leads to my next point as I'll buying my 3rd Sager/Clevo in hopefully less than a month as the mobile versions of the 1080 and 1070 should be coming out early to mid August. Supposedly, they beat out the desktop 980, so unless you need it right now, you may want to see what they offer as they should have better VR capabilities.

Hope that helps. If you need any clarification or have any other questions, ask away.

AshtonK

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

Thank you! This is helpful. I kept seeing people posting about Nvidia not creating laptop/M versions of the 1070 and 1080, but I did hear they were going to release more VR ready laptops around October. I'm currently without a computer since my 2011 MBP's video card has broken twice ( I got it replaced under the recall less than two years ago and its busted again...) but I'm going to try to wait and borrow something for a month or two. I did notice the Sanger/Clevo after I posted this were not too badly priced and if gamers are positive on the brand I'm happy to give them a go!

Sandman1804

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
There will absolutely be mobile versions of the 1070 and 1080, though they may or may not carry the M distinction. All signs point to an late July to early-mid August release. Glad I was able to help.