Large Black Circle Upon Office 13 Install

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Hello All,
I tried installing my new Office 13 and upon install, I get a large Black Circle. It looks like a clock face, only missing the red hands. What is this? The program will install, but when I open an office program...Excel, Word, etc., there it is, the large black circle direcely in the middle of the document, not allowing me to do anything. Also, the as soon as I hit a key, Office immediately "locks up" and then shuts down.
I've never seen anything like this before.
This all started when I replaced the CMOS battery. Because this is a 1 machine Office program, I think it is thinking It is a boot-legged version...or something.
Thanks for the help
Windows 7-pro
Office 13 Pro

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

I just ran anti-virus and other malware scans, no issues. I have entered the activation code. This is the same disk I have used in the past, with no issues, so I dont think it is a disk hardware problem of sorts. I reloaded the Office disk when I changed the CMOS battery, and reloaded my Windows 7. The Windows 7 reload went very well...no issues at all, so I dont think it is due to reloading the Operating System. When I get home from work today, I will install my old Office 2010, and see if I have any install issues, and report back. I have never seen or heard of anything like this, a big black circle which looks like a clock face, only missing the hands.
This may be a graphics card issue, which is one reason I want to reload my old Office 2010 and see what happens. This is a new build, with an ASUS Maximus VI GENE board, and the new Haswell processor. As such, I only have the lower end of onboard intel graphics. Everything up to now is working good, the new build is running stable...only this Office problem exist?
Thanks for the help

inzone

Splendid
Which processor do you have and have you tried any other applications ? This circle appears only when you start the Office application ? I would be interesting to see what happens when a separate video card is installed. Sometime when an underpowered video card is installed and a game or intense graphic is attempted to be rendered the process will stop because the card cannot process the image.

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

just installed Office 2010, and that works fine.
The Black Circle appears when I try to install Office (only Office 2013, Office 2010 is good), and also appears when I open one of the Office 2013 programs. As soon as I click on anything within the program, say I click on a cell in excel, the program crashes and closes.

Motherboard: new ASUS Maximus VI Gene
Processor: new Intel Haswell 3.5Ghz, socket 1150
Power Supply: SeaSonic, G-Series, 650w, Gold Plus

The Windows install went well, and the computer is operating very stable, the only problem is Office 2013.

Thanks for the help

inzone

Splendid
When you have Office 13 installed can you run an update to see if there is one for it , also if there is a way to download from Microsoft an updated version since you have the activation code. What I'm trying to get at is that there may be a file missing or corrupt that needs replacing, there would be no way to find it but an install of a good or updated version might correct it.
I know that you have done a fresh install but somehow a file may still be getting corrupted.

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Hello All...
The problem was Intel's lesser quality HD 4600 Integrated graphics. When I installed a discrete graphics card, the problem went away, and Office 2013 is now running nicely. Of note, before the current build, I was running an AMD system with actually some nice integrated graphics with out any issues.
Current Build:
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 OC-Formula (mATX)
Processor: i7 4770K (Haswell)
Graphics: EVGA 2Gb 650TI NVidia

Again, installing a discrete graphics card solved the problem...probably has something to do with the animation on Office 2013, not found on previous Office versions.

Savage-wp

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I have the same problem. I am running windows 7 pro, and have installed office 2013. I get this black circle with red dashes around the edge (like a clock face). I am also running a i7 haswell processor, but I have a GTX660 graphics card, so I doubt it is a processing problem, as the system is very fast and powerful.

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
just saw your problem...sorry I'm so late. I actually have no idea why it is happening to you, but adding a discrete card for me worked. One think I did do is go into my Motherboard bios, and make sure the computer was running off the discrete, and not the integrated. Maybe try that if you have not already.