Larry Page Ruined Google, Says Former Engineering Director

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]raringcoder[/nom]Yes, to the company that was doing research before Google even formed.http://research.microsoft.com/en-u [...] niversary/[/citation]
really, what has google done that is new?
google+?
android? (they bought out the company making android)
basically googles just been playing the "it worked for them lets throw money at it and see if it worsk for us" game.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
it was goig to happen sooner or later.......now it's time to get rid of the bloatware on the smartphones.....google needs to step it up if they want to remain competitive....my next smartphone will not be an android device if i can't remove the bloatware without a root

xyz001

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Google has made a lot of excellent things:

Google Search.
Gmail.
Google Earth.
Google Maps.
Google Mail.
Chrome.
Google Docs.

All stuff that is free, and billions use and depend on every day. Their software is not annoying to use. Of course they are not perfect, but they are making Windows a bearable alternative to Apple. And if Android would ever be a real PC OS, it could kill windows once and for all.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]xyz001[/nom]Google has made a lot of excellent things:Google Search.Gmail.Google Earth.Google Maps.Google Mail.Chrome.Google Docs. All stuff that is free, and billions use and depend on every day. Their software is not annoying to use. Of course they are not perfect, but they are making Windows a bearable alternative to Apple. And if Android would ever be a real PC OS, it could kill windows once and for all.[/citation]

You underestimate the capabilities of Windows. Android is a toy of an OS compared to Windows... It has come a long way in a short period of time, but it is not comparable to Windows in any way shape or form. I can't even use my Android phone for more than a week without pulling the battery (Samsung Galaxy S) and as soon as VZ comes out with a WP7 on decent hardware I will gladly toss my android piece of junk.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]As much as people are willing to dismiss this story as a fabrication, I say there must be some truth behind this. As mentioned in his entry, Google pulling its free APIs was not a smart move, as it just got many people and developers upset. That kind of negative publicity is cannot work well for a company that depends on its users to make a profit.[/citation]

This is a great reason to stay away from "free" APIs. If you do not have a legally binding license/agreement in place that can be altered by a 3rd party in the future, you probably shouldn't build anything off of that API. Google giveth and google taketh away...

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]blacksheephorse[/nom]Agreed, the "old" Google is gone. The new Google, well.... it scares me and I would never touch Google+. I get the same feeling I had when Steve Jobs took over Apple (again) in '97. Bad vibes. Apple had 10% market share and had just started turning a profit after years of horrible loses, then "he" came back and turned Apple Computer into "The iPod company"... Same bad mojo here.[/citation]
Your just jealous because you didn't throw a few bucks into their stock back then. j/k neither did I.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]You underestimate the capabilities of Windows. Android is a toy of an OS compared to Windows... It has come a long way in a short period of time, but it is not comparable to Windows in any way shape or form. I can't even use my Android phone for more than a week without pulling the battery (Samsung Galaxy S) and as soon as VZ comes out with a WP7 on decent hardware I will gladly toss my android piece of junk.[/citation]
I'm kind of starting to feel the same way about android. Fragmentation and lack of support is going to kill it. WP7 has a good chance. Metro on a desktop can die though :)

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
He left Google because of the corporate mentality and went to MS where situation is even worse? Sounds to me like this is just another attempt of MS to undermine Google's reputation in search engines war.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Raw Intel[/nom]No offense, but your article adds very little of anything to the original open letter. It doesn't even add much brevity. What it adds is a hint of sarcasm in the metaphors you use, which is hard to justify considering you don't give any actual opinion. Poor effort.[/citation]
Surely the article is to put it in front of us and we provide the opinion in the forum feedback?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]xyz001[/nom]Google has made a lot of excellent things:Google Search.Gmail.Google Earth.Google Maps.Google Mail.Chrome.Google Docs. All stuff that is free, and billions use and depend on every day. Their software is not annoying to use. Of course they are not perfect, but they are making Windows a bearable alternative to Apple. And if Android would ever be a real PC OS, it could kill windows once and for all.[/citation]
When you compare MS to Apple, surely you mean Windows vs iOS, because if you mean Windows vs OSX then all those products have a presence their too.

G

High School...sis boom bah
High School Rah Rah Rah

You kids all, of you never grew up

jrtolson

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
the problem with google these days, is that it is too pro advertising/marketing they make all their money from selling add space, and will stick a banner//addword work on just about anything and encourage and indulge there spam and scam Customer base... the state youtube a side for a moment (witch is another rant thread on its own).. for the general "computer user" lets say uses google search for lets say "sound card driver" (could be anything really) then the top results are all spam and scam sites wanting the user to "download" driver (driver detective) software or a free virus scan and the thing is these sites pay google to be up there in the search results, now im all for free internet but really companies like google need to be policed in some way as it is getting borderline ridiculous

G

Strange days indeed, when Microsoft is the less evil alternative to Google.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Schmee232[/nom]Strange days indeed, when Microsoft is the less evil alternative to Google.[/citation]
Hitler demonised the Jews and they all believed him because he had charisma, this is just the same, Google demonises a company that has done more for the IT industry than any other and who's founder is the greatest humanitarian and philantropist the world has ever seen.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]So, he left Google because it wasnt innovative enough and joined...Microsoft?? For Real??[/citation]

If he expects to feel better in MS, he's sadly mistaken

Status
Not open for further replies.