Last opinion before Lenovo Y470p

switch_foot4

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
1. What is your budget?
~$800

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14''

3. What screen resolution do you want?
I don't care

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
4-5 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes - Medium Quality
Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Amalur, Some random old RPG and adventure games

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Watch video

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I have a portable HD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=7794F9514CE80460C7C2782FB02A5EB6

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 Years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't care

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't care

13. What country do you live in?
USA but I am in the USN so I'll be out to sea a lot

I've been reading up a lot and am on the verge of purchasing the Lenovo Y470p, for around 750 bucks it seems like the best value right now. I don't need bleeding edge performance, just enough to get by playing newer games on medium. Just wondering if anyone can recommend another Laptop in the same price range with similar specs?

switch_foot4

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
I've had the laptop for about a week and am very happy with it. I love the keyboard and the speakers! They are both top notch. The screen and resolution are perfect for a 14'' laptop. I've transferred all of my GoG.com and Steam games over to it and they all run fine.

I've not had any problems with the laptop getting hot. I've played Skyrim for extended sessions and its only just warm on my lap. The fan is super quiet also.

The bottom of the Y470 series does not get hot only warm. However, you should use Core Temp or HW Monitor to check the internal temp of the CPU.

switch_foot4

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Thanks for the tip about those programs. They are pretty cool! Running Skyrim for about a half hour and alt-tabbing to check the temp shows a max of about 60 celsius (62 on some cores, 58 on others). Is this a temperature I should be worried about for a laptop?

Rich tea

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Generally, I recommend against purchasing it unless you are willing to replace the thermal paste... which would void your warranty.
hjk

Yeah, those temps should be fine.

It seems Lenovo were not over-zealous when applying the thermal paste in your situation. I get much higher temps than that and I am considering taking my Y470 apart to clean off the excess thermal paste which Lenovo applied and apply my own thermal paste.

Below is a of just how much thermal paste they applied to someone's Y470. Rough guess is that there is about 5,000% (50 times) the amount of thermal paste that should be used. Using that much makes thermal an insulator rather than a heat conductor.

Source: http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/577494-lenovo-y470-y570-official-owners-thread-270.html

DSCF2461.jpg

DSCF2458.jpg

DSCF2460.jpg