Latest iOS 4.3.1 Gets Jailbroken (But Not iPad 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
What I don't get is why there's even a market for jailbreaking to begin with. Surely if you buy an Apple product you do so because you want to be inside the walled garden for all the benefits it brings.

If you don't want to be locked in, why did you even buy an Apple product to begin with?

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I'll answer that for you, LePhuronn:
Apple products, as ridiculously priced as they are, and, as restricting as the software is, get some things VERY right.
1) Quality: now this is a bit of a wobbly thing for Apple, as they have run into their own quality issues...BUT, by and large, aluminium/other metals > plastic and their screens are genereally top notch, too.
2) Accessories: Have you tried to find a case for your Droid? Your HTC Desire, etc? yes? you found some? how many? 4, 5? sure, I did too. Now search for cases/pouches/headsets (with playback control!!! something Android doesn't have) for the term "iPod" or "iPhone"

Example: A standard Amazon.de (I'm in Germany) search for "HTC Desire Pouch" (in german of course) yields about 1500 results, whereas a search for "Apple iPhone Pouch" yields 6500 results. choice!

3) Batterylife. It simply beats most other smartphones hands down. I *know* you can't replace the battery yourself (one of my main reasons for avoiding Apple)...but the battery in there is top notch!

I know i've come across as pro apple...i'm not and I still would rather never have an apple product in my house. :)

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Valid points Kryan. I will just add though that I have an HTC Desire and bundled with it was a headset with playback controls.

Also, I've found that battery life is more down to user knowledge. Yes it helps to have a battery that can physically hold a longer charge, but if you know your phone you can stretch it out. I get 2 days between charges on my Desire and that's even with a fair amount of web use, Google Mail and Facebook pushing updates, (too much) Angry Birds and a bit of YouTube. Some of my iPhone-owning friends do half of that and still have to charge every day, but they tend to leave their Bluetooth and WiFi on all the time because they don't know any better.

chefboyeb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I have replaced the battery in my 3gs twice, and all in less than 15 mins tops, so it's true that all you need is common sense really... However, I just hate having to jailbreak and manipulate things just to get the phone to work the way i want it to... Oh an the cell reception on is horrible... I replaced it with the Nokia N8 and voila, i get all bars and uninterrupted 3g service in places like work where the iPhone gave me half a bar... So i don't know about these iphone fanatics out there, but jailbreaking gets really old after a while... Smdh!

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]LePhuronn[/nom]What I don't get is why there's even a market for jailbreaking to begin with. Surely if you buy an Apple product you do so because you want to be inside the walled garden for all the benefits it brings.If you don't want to be locked in, why did you even buy an Apple product to begin with?[/citation]

Maybe because your silly little Andriod lacks in the software department. I have tried the Samsung Galaxy, and although it was a decent phone and in some ways faster than my iPhone 4. The software was so pathetic that I wished I had my old iPhone3G back!

I don't like Apple as a company, but for now...we're kind of limited due to the software availability.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
There will always be a market for jailbreaking just like there is a market for rooting android phones. Mostly because of piracy, this argument about customisation is a weak one, its mostly so people can steal software.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
^ EXACTLY.

What kind of a cheap-ass do you have to be to JB your iPhone when most apps are $0.99 to $2.99? Yet you can afford that expensive new iPhone 4.

G

I jailbroke my iphone just so I could use it on Tmobile and take advantage of tethering. I like the look and feel of the phone at the time, but Tmobile has better prices. The decisions was simple, unlock the phone so I can do what I want with it.

I dont think that many people really pirate iphone software, because what are you really getting? Low poly games that run at 15fps? Silly little puzzle games while you take a dump? There's a reason iphone software is so cheap, and thats because it's only useful for about 5 minutes. I think most of us dont even care to spend that much time with it and probably dont use it at all.

I also dislike the itunes store. I do not feel like I should have to have some account tied to a massive piece of bloatware on my pc that just hassles and nags me if I ever need to reinstall or switch phones or anything of the sort. The whole system just turns me off.

Interesting enough, when I finally discovered android I dumped my iphone in a heartbeat. I think most jailbreakers are simply ignorant of how much better android is and are simply convinced their iphone is the single greatest experience on earth. I bet if you gave every iphone user an android device for a week they'd all convert forever.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
chronicbint and ericburnby,
You couldn't be more wrong. Yes there is the appeal that some will have about getting apps for free - but I (and most of the people I know) jailbreak our phones so we can get apps that just aren't available through Apple's app store. the BEST of which is SBSettings. Allowing you to toggle your wifi and bluetooth on and off with the swipe of a finger while in ANY app, without having to LEAVE that app to go into the phones settings window. This was a HUGE ios design flaw that Apple will probably never fix because they don't like to admit their products aren't perfect... but you can "fix" this flaw by jailbreaking.

Also, I like installing a different version of SMS Messenger so that I can respond to txt's without having to leave the app I'm in, or even having to unlock my phone. With the stock IOS, if I'm in angry birds and I get a txt, the only two options I have are to open the txt or close the txt. So if I want to reply right then and there, I pretty much have to leave AB to go into the txting window, then manually go back to angry birds. With other SMS apps available on a jailbroken phone, I can hit reply, the txt window overlays on top of AB, and when I'm done, it will automatically go away and I'm still in AB.

Jailbreaking is just a way of making an almost perfect phone, (for lack of a better word) Perfect.

G

I dissagree with most of what is said here, I do like Apple products, not because I am an "Apple fanatic", but because they are simply, hands down the best products out there. If that wasn't true then why is everyone else copying them, including the Droid? Apple products are nice to look at, easy to use and very versitile. I don't like Apples policy about being so closed to third party customization and this secrative policy they have but I do understand the basis for it. Manipulting the iOS or adding these so called unaproved apps often drastically degrades functionality, such as battery life, or inteferes with other existing apps. I have been jailbreaking my iPhone for years and I have to tell you, I don't have one single pirated app on my phone. I use it to take advantage of MyWi and MY3G, which as far as I am concerened add very usable functionality and should have been included by Apple to begin with. My iPhone has no reception issues although that may be because of were I work and play. I am very glad we have Apple, otherwise I believe none of these smartphones or tablets would be in existance today.
Cheers everyone

G

I found a comprehensive guide on how to Untethered Jailbreak 4.3.1 iOS with redsn0w

gruntlord6

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
[citation][nom]mariog123[/nom]I dissagree with most of what is said here, I do like Apple products, not because I am an "Apple fanatic", but because they are simply, hands down the best products out there. If that wasn't true then why is everyone else copying them, including the Droid? Apple products are nice to look at, easy to use and very versitile. I don't like Apples policy about being so closed to third party customization and this secrative policy they have but I do understand the basis for it. Manipulting the iOS or adding these so called unaproved apps often drastically degrades functionality, such as battery life, or inteferes with other existing apps. I have been jailbreaking my iPhone for years and I have to tell you, I don't have one single pirated app on my phone. I use it to take advantage of MyWi and MY3G, which as far as I am concerened add very usable functionality and should have been included by Apple to begin with. My iPhone has no reception issues although that may be because of were I work and play. I am very glad we have Apple, otherwise I believe none of these smartphones or tablets would be in existance today.Cheers everyone[/citation]Because people are easily fooled by marketing, and other manufactures then have to copy apples tactics.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Come on Toms, the thumbnail of the hot chicks does not enlarge. At least if your going to put a thumnail of hot chicks with a zoom option, make it work.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Come on Toms, the thumbnail of the hot chicks does not enlarge. At least if your going to put a thumnail of hot chicks with a zoom option, make it work.[/citation]
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.