Solved! Latitude 600 ticks when I turn it on

wchillhowell

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Hello,
A friend installed Windows 7 on my Dell Latitude 600. Suprisingly it ran very fast with only 1GB of RAM but it lost its Network Controller and Sound. I installed the drivers for both including the Chipset. I rebooted PC as I was prompted to do and the computer would not start up. When I push the start button, the light comes on, I get a"ticking" sound and then it cuts off again? I took out battery, drained it and re-charged it but still to no avail. I'm not even able to get a screen so as to use the F8 key for Safe Mode. If I could even get a DOS prompt I would be able to fix it but nothing comes on?

Solution
Does it get into the BIOS? Can you get into that? You should be able to get into BIOS from the boot-up screen. once there, see if the BIOS recognizes the HDD. If it doesn't, it might be the HDD that failed. Let us know.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Does it get into the BIOS? Can you get into that? You should be able to get into BIOS from the boot-up screen. once there, see if the BIOS recognizes the HDD. If it doesn't, it might be the HDD that failed. Let us know.

Solution
Where is the ticking noise coming from? If it is coming from the area where the HDD is located (you can tell by taking a look underneath and looking for a panel with the HDD label on it), chances are that the hard drive is done. Is it the original hard drive and if so, how old is it?