Lawyers Squeeze $10 Million Out of Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

cozalp

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Omg people are getting rich using my private information or photos... oh wait i don't post them online.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Might be a win for the lawyers and the people affected don't get anything, but it's been like this for a long time. Not like facebook's lawsuit started that trend.

Either go sue facebook in a class-action suit or work to change facebook's privacy laws.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
We need a hunting season for Lawyers and Bankers.
Dibbs on the Lawyers... :)

As for 970 million Facebook users... get real !
Everyone I know has 2 or 3 accounts.
As for myself, yes, I have 2; I do IT work and need them to test things. Would I put any of my private stuff on there ? Hell no. I prefer 3 'real' Friends over 1,000 meaningless facebook contacts.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
There should be a policy than in a class action lawsuit and actions on behalf of alleged victims, the law firm is entitled to actual expenses plus a 10% bonus on the amount that victims actually receive and a max $100 per hour per lawyer limit for their actual dedicated time on the case. The rest of the settlement is dispersed to the victims after their approval of the settlement. Today, class action lawyers suck half of enormous settlements while many victims get less than a penny per dollar won (Due to the large number of victims represented).

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I'm really not sure that most facebook users care honestly. I could be wrong but it just seems like many are primarily concerned with sharing their day-to-day stuff & reading the same of others.

elbert

Distinguished
Now we need a law suit to get the money out of the hands of the law firm. These lawyers without a clients may as well been co conspiring with the judge in judicial activism. Were do they have the right to sue without a client?

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Facebook is for Fools & Tools and lawyers are scum, have been for thousands of years. Even Jesus had a warning to them (lawyers) that is in the Bible.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
What should happen is that if facebook uses your likeness for ads, then you should be getting paid, because it looks like your endorsing a product!

cmi86

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
I can take any image from anywhere and use it for anything I want with or with out any persons permission, that is the beauty of the internet. Lawyers gonna go around suing every single online site that hosts photos or information ?? This goes right along with suing Mc Donalds because you coffee was hot when your dumb ass spilled it all over yourself ... Get real people !

G

Why blame the lawyers? Without them Facebook would keep invading your privacy and profit off of it without you knowing it.

Now Facebook wont be able to invade your privacy this way. Facebook will think up a new way to invade your privacy and profit off of it. Now, don't you hope some lawyers catch them and put a stop to it? Because you sure can't foot the 2+million dollar bill it costs to sue Facebook.

Use your heads.

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]punahou1[/nom]I'm glad I didn't jump in on the IPO...[/citation]
Zuckerburg is going to find out real quick what it's like to be a publicly traded company with these settlement payouts. All of his policy and design changes made on a whim aren't going to fly at shareholder meetings.

u_hsen

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
1) what is the harm of profile pictures shown to company? at least not public information
2) can you really blame facebook for its users being DUMB
3) is the law firm actually doing for the good of the people? or they just want the 10 million. they claim they represent concerns of the people but hoard all the money. hey i didn't say i gave them permission to defend for me.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Either go sue facebook in a class-action suit or work to change facebook's privacy laws.[/citation]
Or don't post your personal pictures? Ever heard of just not using it? T&C says "we intend to do this" so when they go and do it you get all shocked and surprised?
You are an idiot, if I ran a popular website and the signup T&C said I could send a team of surgeons round to extract your liver to sell on the blackmarket, there would still be people out there sign up even after they read it because they are stupid, ignorant and lazy.
Don't like it? Don't use it. End of story.

altriss

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
[citation][nom]demarest[/nom]THANK YOU. Used to be people freaked out at the prospect of sharing anything personal online because the boogeyman would stalk you and rape your sister and steal your identity. Now, teenie-boppers are doing it without a second thought. You can't complain about not winning the lotto if you didn't enter. You can't complain about anything you put out to the world being used by the world in ways you don't approve of.[/citation]

the fact is that often you don't put your data by yourself. I mean that when I had a Facebook account, most of the data I didn't want to see online were posted by "nice" friends who tagged me after. As you can't really ask everyone to not put your pictures online, I had to canceled my account and erase data. But I can understand people getting angry while private data they didn't wanted to share are used by Facebook to earn money.
And now even if I don't have Facebook anymore, I'm not sure about what happen to the pictures and other data about me friends still share on Facebook.
So I'm glad some greedy lawyers limit Facebook (even if this for their own profit). I don't like how Facebook's becoming a big brother we are all building...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS