LCD showing White Screen on my HP Compaq 8710w Laptop

lejonxa

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
I've got an HP Compaq 8710w Workstation for a laptop.

Specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 2.6 GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M - 512 MB
LCD Display is LG Philips LP171WU3-TLB1
Windows 7 Ultimate

A couple of months back, the LCD started displaying multiple shades of colors (blue, green, pink etc). I could still see the desktop and was usable (but irritating). Recently, the LCD stopped working altogether and displays a plain white screen when I turn it on.

Stay with me while I try to figure out what's going on. This is a weird case.

1. The LCD displays a white screen, so I know that the inverter and the backlight is working fine.
2. I connected the Laptop to an external monitor and it worked fine. So I concluded my GPU is working fine.
3. I bought and replaced the cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard, no dice. Still shows the white screen
4. I concluded that the LCD board might have got damaged and went ahead and bought a new LCD Screen Assembly (this consisted of a the entire upper component of the laptop including a new inverter, backlight, LCD, cable - the whole shebang. Costed 60$, shipped in from the US). I replaced it, and the new LCD still displays the white screen!

I can only think of two possibilities:

a. The New LCD that I bought is damaged and have to be replaced (It might be even be a loose cable, but I can't open it up to check as I won't be able to return it if I do)

b. The motherboard or GPU is damaged - which doesn't make sense as it works great on an external Monitor. Even boots into Windows.

Any suggestions on how I might proceed?

lejonxa

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014

I checked out the lvds connector, doesn't seem to be damaged - all pins intact. Anything I can look for or anyway to check if the connector is working okay?

farsin

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
I'm also having a similar issue. when i switch on the computer all i get is a white screen and if i keep it for a minute or so i can get the image appearing and i can work on that for may be hours and i could restart and shut down and immediately switch it on again and without a problem. but if i keep it switched off for 2 or 3 hours when i switch on i can see the dell logo but it fades into white after 2 or 3 seconds. if i switch on after more than that time all i get is a white screen. external monitor works fine. btw my laptop is a dell inspiron n5110

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

i would replace the lcd cable--those are usually the symptoms that theres a tiny break in the cable some where