Solved! LCD tv help

barryo

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Hey!

I recently purchased a 240hz LCD HDTV by Phillips. It's pretty amazing so far but i have some questions.

Before this tv i had a plasma, I do ALOT of heavy gaming. Xbox 360. I wasn't aware of plasma break in period so obviously i burned the HUD into the screen....smooth. :pfff:

So i took it back and got LCD cuz i hear it is best for gaming without burn in worries. But I would like to know are there any settings i should have it at specifically for gaming such as a certain contrast and brightness level etc? Should I worry about burn in? I dont leave it paused ever, if i have to leave for a short amount of time like for dinner or w.e. i turn the tv off and leave the 360 on while im gone. But i do play for long periods of time like 4 to 8 hours. Thus why the HUD (the health bar the radar etc) burned into my previous plasma. But LCD as far as i was told can handle gaming better burn-in wise. What settings should i set the contrast and brightness etc to for gaming?

Also, because it is 240hz, theres a delay in the response time....which makes me absolutely suck in multiplayer i lose so bad because of that lol so i switched the tv to PC mode when im gaming and it lowers the Hz to 60 or 120 something and gets rid of the delay. It changes the screen settings a bit but i lowered the contrast and brighness to like 50 to be safe. But using it in PC mode for hours like that is ok right? Just wanna make sure cuz its PC mode...not regular tv mode...u never know :p im a n00b when it comes to LCD so i want to make sure im taking care of the tv.

Thanks! :D

Solution
Set contrast and brightness to your liking.

When gaming the HDTV should be operating at 60Hz mode. Anything else will cause input lag (delays). Using it in "PC mode" is fine, it actually stresses the HDTV less since it is not doing any video processing like in 120Hz or 240Hz mode.

Set contrast and brightness to your liking.

When gaming the HDTV should be operating at 60Hz mode. Anything else will cause input lag (delays). Using it in "PC mode" is fine, it actually stresses the HDTV less since it is not doing any video processing like in 120Hz or 240Hz mode.

Solution

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
"But using it in PC mode for hours like that is ok right?"
Yes, Led's and LCD Tv's have no burn in problem at all. (just like a laptop screen)
Be aware that these tv's do consume a bit of power, so you may want to turn off to conserve energy.

ElectronicGuru

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Actually LCD's do also have burn-in issues and LED's are LCD's with different back lighting (LED back lighting :p).

But it takes a still image about 4-6hrs to burn into a plasma and about a week or two on an LCD, so if you game for a week solid you might have burn in problems on your lcd. But yea with saying that its very unlikely that you will have burn-in problems with your lcd.

Also fyi the burn-in issue with the plasma could've been fixed by displaying a full screen white image also the first 24hrs of the plasma is the most important you must display a constant moving picture to break in the plasma and then if you play games 4-8hrs per day turn the brightness down below 50%. This will save your plasma from the burn-in image problem. For the LCD use whatever settings are right for you, burn-in isn't really an issue.

Now onto PC Mode, having it on PC mode for 4-8hrs per day will not effect your tv whatsoever, like the above post stated it will actually stress the processor less and possibly give your tv a higher life span.

LCD has something called image retention.

Basically what happens is the liquid crystal become stuck in a particular position because it has been displaying the same color for far too long. While it may be "stuck" forever, it can be revived by using a program like Dead Pixel Buddy which forces the monitor to quickly change color, thus reducing or eliminating image retention.

Burn-in issues in Plasma displays is actually quite easy to fix as well. You buy a new Plasma display. Hey, I said it was easy, not cheap. :)

broncobuff

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

240hz causes lags that 60hz does not? That just helps confirm what I've long thought: Most LCD "features" are dubious improvements.

I think if you have 1080 lines of resolution, the rest is mostly window dressing. Sure, the refresh rates have jumped from 60 to 120 to 240, but for the life of me I don't see any difference. I read where all LCD display surfaces are made by just a few Asian companies, in large sheets, 12 feet by 20 feet or something, which they cut to sizes requested by manufacturers. So the screens themselves are the same for all brands.

I suppose the newer LED backlighting is a tangible difference, but just as with refresh rates, there is little evidence any of us can see a difference.

We have an older Samsung 46" 60hz, looks as good or better than the Sony EX500 240hz we recently bought.