Leap Peripheral May be the Future for Gesture Controls

Status
Not open for further replies.

antixbaby

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Nice ad.

It's not the tech's better, but Kinect camera resolution through USB 2.0. The next revision of Kinect using USB 3.0/Thunderbolt will be leaps and bounds better.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
all i can think of is a light gun game with my hand as the gun, which would be a major selling point for me...

but im thinking of this in terms of a tablet, and how good they are at images and such. multi touch without touching the screen would be a godsend in photoshop, getting most of the gestures you are use to on a tablet mapped to this thins, would be so much better than useing keyboard shortcuts, if there are even shortcuts for what you want to do.

i am getting one of these as soon as applications are written around this kind of control.

Steelwing

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
If this thing is as good as their video shows, I definitely want one. It's even better than a touch screen because you can work in all three dimensions.

Imagine reaching in and manipulating on-screen objects without requiring a data glove. It seems far more accurate than any visual sensor that I've seen before, and it's not overpriced!

This would be great for 3D modelling, and while at first there probably won't be many games and apps that take full advantage of the unit, they'll come in time. It can already replace a tablet's touch screen, so that's a good head start.

The lack of fingerprints on the screen is another plus, but the downside is that our arms are going to get tired pretty fast. I seems to be an addition to (not a replacement for) a keyboard, mouse, and gamepad, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

yuenchien

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Leap, on the other hand, is able to detect gestures accurate down to 1/100ths of a millimeter within a four-foot area. Such sensitivity is required to read users’ most subtle finger gestures to allow daily computing without frustration.

yzf197

Honorable
May 1, 2012
i don't see this being nearly as revolutionary as it's being touted to be. it may be the beginning of things to come, and yes we DO need better body recognition level electronics, imagine a 'secret handshake' as a password to a website! however i feel that general computer input is still sufficient for modern level of technology. speech recognition should be improved and more software using that instead of keyboards, but when dealing with a 2D plane, it's hard to beat a mouse. mice have already went to a 3D level when ball style mice died out in favor for laser mice, you can use them on your pants leg while sitting down for that matter, and trackballs have been around for ages.

i want to see how this plays out for videogames. having a life size weapon to pull a trigger on seems legit, and could add realism, but how to you make this body sensing mechanism replace the WASD keys for moving around? unless you've got a giant 360 degree treadmill to move about on, i don't see this replacing real life in any way that involves moving a subject about in a 3D plane.

corellianrogue

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Leap looks awesome, but you're wrong about Kinect. Although it's not accurate enough to track multiple fingers if the user is standing 6ft+ away (and developers haven't managed to track wrist rotation at that distance either yet as far as I know, at least not when using Microsoft's default skeletal system, but developers can create their own tracking systems if they want to) it can track at least some hand gestures at that distance and there are various Kinect games that do. However, if a user is close to Kinect then it can track multiple fingers and any hand gestures including wrist rotation (not using Microsoft's default skeletal system though obviously), which you can see plenty of examples of in "Kinect hacks" all over YouTube and the internet in general.

Also by the time Leap is released Kinect will be over 2 years old so you would expect Leap to be more advanced and Kinect 2 will probably be only months away (probably bundled with the next-gen Xbox) and is bound to be far more advanced than Kinect 1. I expect similar to Leap but tracking the whole body.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
the other interesting point about this system is that you can link up multiple Leap sensors to create an input zone as big as you like...

I suspect it would be fairly easy to make a full body game control system :)

The level of user interaction would only come down to how far you are prepared to go
The Gadget show made a Battlefield 3 simulator : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY

This system detects infrared light to sense objects within its 4ft square sense area per leap module

With the 1/100th of a millimetre resolution Users could hold any toy gun with software calibrated to recognise it and the trigger points + your finger movement... well, lets see what people make for this wonderful product ^^

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I imagine that it should be more sensitive than kinect, given that you must be within 2 ' of the sensor and the sensing volume is only 8 cu.ft.To match kinects sensing volume, while maintaining the same sensitivity would cost over $1000 in sensors and be bottlenecked by the USB throughput. It would be fine for its intended use close-up to a computer screen, but impractical for use at common view/play area of a console gamer and it also lacks voice input.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Kinda sorry some people did not understand my post which basically :

pointed out how I suspect this great looking Leap system "could" make a full body game input system...

and how the level of such a systems interactivity would be limited only by how extreme you wanted to be... + Give an example of possibly the best ever game input system made to date

No where did I indicate the Gadget Show used Leap for their input system -.-"

The point being that using Leap would make creating such a system Much Cheaper and more straight forward to put together ^^

Eight Leap sensors might be enough to make a system with a static floor, creating an 8 x 8 foot play zone

could be amazing for future Tekken type games - we do the real fighting part + have the system programmed to recognise special moves etc

Either ways, the future looks rather interesting =)

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]Kinda sorry some people did not understand my post which basically :pointed out how I suspect this great looking Leap system "could" make a full body game input system...and how the level of such a systems interactivity would be limited only by how extreme you wanted to be... + Give an example of possibly the best ever game input system made to dateNo where did I indicate the Gadget Show used Leap for their input system -.-"The point being that using Leap would make creating such a system Much Cheaper and more straight forward to put together ^^Eight Leap sensors might be enough to make a system with a static floor, creating an 8 x 8 foot play zonecould be amazing for future Tekken type games - we do the real fighting part + have the system programmed to recognise special moves etcEither ways, the future looks rather interesting =)[/citation]

Each sensor has a range of 2'x 2' x 2', so your 8' x 8' play area for a 6' person would require 48 sensors and cost $3,360. I wonder what the throughput requirements would be...

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I would like to see both used on one system actually. I can see someone using a Kinect say from across the room, or while meandering around the living room with a good book, after he can use the Leap Controller for more finite tasks from a desk, or a embedded device in the arm of your seat.

Both technologies have there ups and downs, why do we have to only choose one and loose the advantage of the other? I do use both a keyboard and mouse, I do remember when I only used a keyboard for gaming ( I stopped when someone figured out how to make someone duck in a FPS...). There is no reason why you could not use Kinect to control movements, while using leap for finite motor functions.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
thanks bigdog44

well, maybe I can hope for a future updated product with more the scenario I was talking about in mind...

...Totally impracticle with its current range scope for full body interaction, but perfect for what they designed it for.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]thanks bigdog44well, maybe I can hope for a future updated product with more the scenario I was talking about in mind......Totally impracticle with its current range scope for full body interaction, but perfect for what they designed it for.[/citation]

Your dream isn't dead yet.
Why not make it a wearable device(s) with wireless USB and rechargeable batteries?
You would only need 1 unit (chest/necklace-mounted) for hands only operation and a lower resolution unit (waist-mounted) for the rest of the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.