Learning Question: Virtual Drive a partition?

KiwiHoshi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
If I didn't put this in the correct thread, sorry. I just have a learning question. When I create a virtual hard drive, am I creating a partition on my actual hard drive? I'm just trying to understand how it works. Thanks!

ex_bubblehead

Distinguished

No, a special file is created that is treated by the VM as if it were a physical volume. You can even copy this file (along with any support files) to another computer and run your VM there.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Yes, that's correct. You're specifying an amount of storage you wish to sanction off from the original drive and it'll act as a separate drive, as well as be issued a different drive letter. In reality though, it's still just one physical drive.

The more accurate term for this is a logical drive.

Edit: Do you mean to ask about a virtual environment, or the creation of a second (logical) drive that's derived from a physical drive?

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Well I wasn't sure as to which the OP was referring to, since they themselves were unclear as to what's going on. The fact that they used the term "hard drive" and didn't mention a virtual environment at all made me think that they're referring to the creation of a logical drive and not the workings of a hypervisor.

If that in fact is the case, I'm not confused but misguided...

Ijack

Distinguished
Well, you don't need a hypervisor, or any other form of virtual machine, to benefit from virtual drives in Windows, OS X, or Linux. You can even boot Windows on a physical machine off a .vhd, so it can be a useful alternative to resizing partitions if you want to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 (for example).

KiwiHoshi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Well, I guess that answers my question...although, I'm more confused now. Sorry, I never replied. I forgot I posted this question.