Left 4 Dead Fans Boycott Sequel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]icejodah[/nom]Quit whining. Sequels are better. L4D2 will be great. Get over it.[/citation]
That's the point.

Valve obviously didn't have any faith in l4d if they started making l4d 2 immediately after. So much for "quality work".

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]Honestly I can see why people would pirate it, you buy a game fore 50 bucks expecting to get a honestly done, GOOD game out of it and instead you get to play a beta for the NEXT game which by mere chance also costs $50.That being said I am no pirate, but I personally can't justify spending $50 bucks every other month just so valve can milk the profit.[/citation]

I don't see what that has to do with my comment but I have to call BS on that. Before I bought my copy I knew what I was getting and I liked it. I don't buy games on the potential that they give me free stuff down the road. I do expect patches to be fixed though which Valve has done.

As for new content? I don't care if they sell it or give it away but I prefer the latter. If Valve ends up selling the new content and I don't find it compelling enough to buy it then I don't buy it.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]the_one111[/nom]That's the point.Valve obviously didn't have any faith in l4d if they started making l4d 2 immediately after. So much for "quality work".[/citation]

That is such retarded logic. They made a shit ton of money off of Left 4 Dead so they want to repeat that success and make a shit ton of money off of Left 4 Dead 2.

the-real-link

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
It's not surprising they'd be in development with something new so quickly if 1. it didn't make them money, and 2. fans didn't absolutely love it. If they're not coding the engine from scratch, it's possible they can pump out a new game within a year and still have it be good. One may point to Crysis and Crysis Warhead where look at how long the original took to make compared to the sequel. At the same time, has Valve *stopped* improving any of their original games just because a newer one is out? They may not have outright new content but the support and patches seem to still fix issues.

Will wait and see on this one methinks.

the-real-link

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
It's not surprising they'd be in development with something new so quickly if 1. it didn't make them money, and 2. fans didn't absolutely love it. If they're not coding the engine from scratch, it's possible they can pump out a new game within a year and still have it be good. One may point to Crysis and Crysis Warhead where look at how long the original took to make compared to the sequel. At the same time, has Valve *stopped* improving any of their original games just because a newer one is out? They may not have outright new content but the support and patches seem to still fix issues.

Will wait and see on this one methinks.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Everyone is entitled to their objection to the issue. I for one didnt think the game was all that great to begin with and bought it only to play with friends at LAN's, but if more content was promised, more content there should be. I do feel it is a bit early for L4D2 to be released at an all new cost to those that just bought the title. A minor upgrade cost, maybe, but all new purchase is insane. A new release now will severely impact the current online gaming presence splitting the players down the middle.

I highly doubt the sequel is bringing a new highly modified game to the table, and more like it has more maps and a few more baddies... Smells like EA big time if you ask me... And is that really what we want all you gamers out there? Another EA? Why dont we just have EA buy Valve, and call it a day... That way we can have 5 million versions of Battlefield, I mean Left 4 Dead....

G

People People,

Get a grip - I understand your frustration but in all honesty L4D is a great title and some could say is lacking some content additional maps and weapons and so on but no big deal.

Further I understand your concern with valve - from it's poor customer support to its over lack luster caring for customers - making you buy titles you already own for your new computers they could honestly take some customer service training 101 classes.

But honestly as long as they don't split the games apart which would be absolutely idiotic maneuver due to fragmenting the communities! Further I do not believe they couldn’t make this a downloadable content – I do not mind paying a few dollars more for additional content (expansion pack) but please stop thinking your consumers are all idiots you went with the light version of L4D no big deal.

This boycott has caught their attention definantly but you cannot expect something for nothing! Remember they need to continue to pay for upper management’s bonus packages and golden parachutes.

TAT

lex-luther

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
To the author:

Valve is not infamous for its Half-life franchise in fact it is famous for it...

in·fa·mous (ĭn'fə-məs) pronunciation
adj.

1. Having an exceedingly bad reputation; notorious.
2. Causing or deserving infamy; heinous: an infamous deed.

G

You people boycotting L4D2 are crazy! Did you not get your 40 dollars worth out of L4D how many hours did you play L4D is it over 60 hours? If it is then you have easily got your money worth. HL2 took less then half the time to run through that game. and you all didnt complain about EP1 should be free cause HL2 was so short. Come on people you really think that you deserve free addition content on a game that you easily got your money out of? How much money did we all give nintendo and sega back in the day for games that took 20 hours to beat and never play again and we didnt complain a bit.
To all you boycotters GROW UP! To everyone else with a brain I will see you in game on launch day!

G

I think the biggest problem is that it will split the community, which the game is very reliant upon because of it's small server sizes(4 or 8). Releasing L4D2 will pull a lot of the L4D1 players away from the community making it harder to find players for a game. I don't like that the developer is causing a split like that only a year after the game came out. They should have waited at least another year or year and a half.

SIRIUSDOG

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Wow are we a bunch of cry babies so I guess they guys working on the game for you should work for free, ah people there are bills that need to be paid oh I forgot you might know that if you got out of your parents basement. It's there company they can do what they want as you can buy what you want but to bitch because it's not free give me a break

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
This "game" was a joke, I played through all the levels in about 2 hours and tried multiplayer for a couple more a couple months back when they had the free weekend. It's not even fun. Why would people even want a sequal or additional content?

Counterstrike is almost as bad, but at least it had some variety. Wish Delta force and it's wonderful multiplayer component would come back......

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Wow. Valve was the only "real developer" and was not in it for a profit. That is a pretty amusing statement. Valve is a business and the primary goal of a business is to make money. Valve is no exception. [/citation]
Amen. While I don't like this move (I own L4D and have played it for 260 hours), I'm happy that the "Valve can do no wrong" fanboys are getting a slap in the face. I couldn't believe people thought that the Survival Pack including two "new" Versus maps was actually a great thing done by Valve. Those two maps should have been there from the start, but Valve decided to hold off so that they can revive game interest in the future. A great business move, but the Valve fanboys ate it up like Valve was handing them a gift that they didn't pay for.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
As long as the sequal is of good quality, bring it on.

I loved playing L4D. Sat down and played from start to finish with someone splitscreen on a TV smaller than my monitor.(Though played some more later on my widescreen... much better.)

I understand how people would be upset.
Cross compatibility I believe would be a key factor. Let L4D2 players join L4D1 players on L4D1 maps.

One of the things that pissed me off about the Diablo 2 expension is that expeansion and nonexpension players could not play together, even if the expension character had all non expac gear. This thouroughly pissed me off more when I lost my expac serial...Couldn't join any games because 95%+ of all games hosted were expac games.

jay236

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I'm just not buying the new L4D2 because of my experience with L4D1...just repetitive killing of a limited amount of zombies, on top of the limited amount of weapons that we can use...and ALSO on top of the very limited amount of maps.

Totally wasted $50 USD on the first game...not gunna bother with the second

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
First point, don't see why ANYONE would cry about $50 bucks. You go to dinner and a movie with your lady for about the same price, and that's just ONE night. Second, I will probably buy the game, I already have 80 hrs. on the first one, and only have 5 achivements left.... the first one was good, and so should the second one. Besides, they still can release new content for LFD1. Oh, by the way, they are a company, wtf would they care about 21000 gamers anyway when millions bought the first, and will do the same for the second. Personally, if you get over 80hrs of game play (such as myself), $50 bucks is worth it. Stop bitching

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
You know, I just wanted to say something. What happened to the days of N64? What happened to gamers? Remember when a game would come out, and instead of trashing it or bitching, people were so happy. No, but now the moment a game is release people literal walk around levels and look for problems in the game, just bitching about everything. Oh, and the best part, 99.9% of those people bitching, wouldn't even know where to start to even fix those problems found. This is just another example, people actually thinking they have the inalienable right to product, since they bought the previous version. Really, those 21,000 individuals, look like a large group of children. I really hope that LFD2 comes out at $50 dollars, just so those 21,000 gamers can s*** their pants HAHAH!

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
To the guy above me, that's because the N64 only ever got maybe 20 good games.

Regardless, am I the only person that realises who it is that Valve has sold out to? It's not EA, it's fucking Microsoft and the 12 year olds on Xbox Live. They're releasing this as a full game because they can't release it all as downloadable content for the 360.

This started when the 360 owners got the update before we did; it's all about money. If Valve hadn't struck a goldmine in console development we'd be treated to the same quality service Valve is known and loved for.

PC gaming is on its last legs, and Valve selling out is just another nail in the coffin.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Wanker79[/nom]Valve is on a VERY short list of developers that have earned and deserve some benefit of the doubt. The fact that 21,000 childish idiots would rage because they perceive that Valve isn't living up to a ridiculously high standard that almost no other developer could come close to measuring up to doesn't really surprise me. It disgusts me.If they would have released this as a $20-$30 expansion, that would have been awesome. If they put together some kind of discounted price for owners of the original, great! If they just release it as a full price stand-alone title, I might be a bit disappointed. But being pissed off because you're not getting something for free is absurd. The self-entitlement in that sentiment makes me nauseous.[/citation]

this is ntoa bout them wanting free content, open your eyes and pay the f--- attention, this is aobut valve giving consuemrs a swequel with cotnent that SHOULD have been an (a pay for) expansion at least. I'm very pissed about this myself , one l4d 2 as theyar e sayign is going tob e larger , what this says to me is they only rusehed l4d becasue the game was far from feeling finished when it reelased it was real short. on top of that valve has already said that alot of the content they are doing in l4d 2 was origianlly planed to be in l4d 1, this is pretty much already declarling they have to intention to update the first game what so ever (paid for content or otherwise). what these guys want is to see l4d 2 as an full expansion to the first game, not a second 59 $ half game. this si about valve giving the customers /fans what they want, instead of what valve wants. the game industry is quickly forgeting this simple fact "you make games for your customers , not yourself". to often developers these day get caught up in what they think woudl be cool with little to mind what thier customers want. Valve usually has agood past on this topic but now they are seeming more and more like other companies. i say Give l4d 1 a full expansion that i can and will buy , otehr wise l4d 2 will not see my money

Status
Not open for further replies.