Solved! Lenovo computer won't charge after gaming and overheating

Apr 26, 2021
Hi,

I have a Lenovo computer (Ideapad 700-15ISK) that won't charge. It overheated from gaming and stopped working entirely. I bought a new battery and charger, and it worked until there was no power left on the battery. It won't work with the charger alone either.

Is it something that can be easily fixed, or not worth throwing more money after?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Anja

Solution
Buying a new machine:
  • Comes with a warranty
  • You get a new battery that may be better than the one you purchased (did you buy an OEM battery)
  • You don't need to worry that there may be hidden damage to the old machine that a repair doesn't fix
  • May get a technology upgrade
Repairing the old machine
  • Likely costs less (maybe considerably less
You have to decide the tradeoffs yourself. Keep in mind that if the motherboard is replaced, many removable components such as RAM, the CPU, SSD, fan, etc. (unless they are soldered in) will probably be reused).
You may not have needed a new battery and likely did not need a new charger. Since it still worked on battery for a while, it is likely that the problem is confined to a small area of the power supply. Can you fix this yourself? Not likely. Can a repair shop do so for a reasonable cost? Probably. Another option would be to send the unit back to Lenovo. They would likely just replace the motherboard and charge you quite a lot.

Odd that the machine was damaged from overheating. It should have shut itself down. If the cooling working properly? If you mess around inside, make sure you follow good ESD precautions (look on the internet) or you may damage something else!

Apr 26, 2021
Thanks very much for the answer, the one man repair shop in my little town mentioned the motherboard when I asked him in an email. I thought it might not be worth it, if a new motherboard is needed, then better off buying a new computer, right?
I did buy a cooling fan at first and the computer worked for some time with that also but then stopped working entirely, and then I bought a new battery and charger, and it worked for as long as the new battery had power.

Last edited:
Buying a new machine:
  • Comes with a warranty
  • You get a new battery that may be better than the one you purchased (did you buy an OEM battery)
  • You don't need to worry that there may be hidden damage to the old machine that a repair doesn't fix
  • May get a technology upgrade
Repairing the old machine
  • Likely costs less (maybe considerably less
You have to decide the tradeoffs yourself. Keep in mind that if the motherboard is replaced, many removable components such as RAM, the CPU, SSD, fan, etc. (unless they are soldered in) will probably be reused).

Solution