Lenovo Flex 3 (1580) repeatedly says "plugged in", followed by "unplugged" over and over (Not charging)

Torian103

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Hey all, I'm having this strange issue with my Lenovo Flex 3.

My computer, when plugged in, will say it is plugged in, then immediately go back to unplugged, then back to plugged in etc etc.

My initial thoughts were that the charger was dead, no biggie. Grabbed another charger and... Same issue.

Then I thought "Hmm, maybe it's the DC jack", so I bought working one from ebay. Plugged it into my laptop, same issue. I'm out of ideas.

My battery unfortunately is drained, so I cannot turn the computer on.

Anyone got any ideas or if this is common?

First, if it is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer about a repair or replacement.

If not, have you checked to make sure the battery in it isn't loose? Has room to shift around? If it does, this could cause the intermittent charging. You should also try charging it when it is fully off, to see if it works. Also, have you tried plugging it in when the battery is out? Can it turn on then?

If none of this gets you anywhere I would start looking for burnouts, etc., on the motherboard.

Torian103

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

Ah, gotcha. Do you think this might be something that I might be able to repair, or do you think I need to replace the motherboard?

My computer is no longer under warranty.

Torian103

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

I will probably just take it to a professional just to be on the safe side. It'd be cheaper than buying a new motherboard most likely.

Thank you for the help.

patilgs

Prominent
Feb 7, 2017
Hello,
Did you find a solution to this problem?
My Lenovo Flex 3 is having the exact same problem and I'm trying to find a fix before I send it to Lenovo and get it repaired out of warranty.
Thanks
-Gaurav

Torian103

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

Hey, funny enough I did! It's a Lenovo software that caused the issue. I'm unsure of the exact name of the program, but just trying removing all of the Lenovo programs. I believe it's a battery calibrator that just plain doesn't work for Windows 10. Typically Lenovo.

patilgs

Prominent
Feb 7, 2017
Oh wow!
That gives me some hope.
Will try this tonight and see if it works.
Would it be possible for you to find out the name of the software that might be causing this?
Thank you so much!
-Gaurav

Torian103

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

I believe it is called "Power Management".

patilgs

Prominent
Feb 7, 2017
Thanks for the help. I uninstalled a bunch of things and installed a bunch of other things from the Lenovo support page and tht kind of worked.
Now the earlier issue is gone but the laptop doesn't charge anymore. It say "plugged in, charging" and the battery percentage doesn't drop until it is plugged in but it doesn't go up either. It behaves normally when not plugged in and the battery percentage goes down.
Talked to Lenovo technical support and they refused to help me since it is out of warranty and told me to get it repaired from someone else which was kind of rude.

Torian103

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

I would recommend backing up your personal data and reverting to Windows 8.1/7 personally. Or do a clean install of windows 10.

patilgs

Prominent
Feb 7, 2017
Tried resetting windows 10 using Lenovo recovery that didn't work and took me back to the "plugged in", followed by "unplugged" over and over problem.
So, I did a clean Windows 10 install from a USB flash drive and now it's stuck at 59% with power plugged in...not charging or discharging.
I have also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery by removing the back cover and that hasn't helped either. I'm starting to believe this might be an hardware issue but can't zero in on what that issue might be.

[/quotemsg]

I would recommend backing up your personal data and reverting to Windows 8.1/7 personally. Or do a clean install of windows 10.[/quotemsg]

Torian103

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

I would recommend backing up your personal data and reverting to Windows 8.1/7 personally. Or do a clean install of windows 10.[/quotemsg]

[/quotemsg]

Have you tried downgrading to Windows 8.1 or 7?

patilgs

Prominent
Feb 7, 2017
No, I haven't. My laptop actually came with Windows 10 on it so I'm not sure if it will be able to use the same license if I try to put Windows 8.1 on it.

[/quotemsg]

Have you tried downgrading to Windows 8.1 or 7?
[/quotemsg]

rajtummala

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
Hai Did you fix this issue .. Because recently I have the same issue. When i update the lenovo settings. It shows AC adapter has limited support. Ac adapter cannot provide enough power for normal operation of your computer .You may be able to charge your battery with Ac adapter if your computer is in sleep or shut down state.

patrick.meiger

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
Hi Torian

i am a bit of confused regarding your issue, you said your battery is drained so you cannot turn your laptop on then you said you removed the software.

can you clarify because im having the same exact issue of it not turning on?

appreciate your help buddy :)

spikecool.2014

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018

Can u please help me find it?

I have been trying to find a fix for eternity and I think this is the problem