Solved! Lenovo G50-45 Laptop startup BSOD Critical Process Died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2020
Hey everyone.
Earlier yesterday I ran System Restore to bring my laptop back to an earlier state due to a display issue. Everything was back normal and working fine until an abrupt shutdown shutdown on my part.
I rebooted my laptop and the Lenovo loading screen showed up as normal. Then the BSOD appeared with the Stop code: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

After a short bit it goes back to the Lenovo loading screen and underneath it says: (Preparing automatically repair) Then the screen flicks and says: (Diagnosing your pc)

After that it goes to another screen saying:
"Startup Repair Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC Press "Advance options" to try other options to repair your pc or "Shut down" to turn off your PC. Log file : C:\WINDOWS\system32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt'.

I opened up the Advance options in the Troubleshoot section and so far I tried:

'Exit and continue to Windows 10': it just goes to the Lenovo loading screen and starts the BSOD process again.

Booting up in Safe Mode: BSOD

I tried googling the issue and saw someone suggest to run sfc /scannow in the command prompt. I tried that but after the Verification hits 100% it says:
"Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

I tried running another system restore to a different saved point with the command prompt "rstrui.exe /offline:C:\windows=active" After the loading bar was full and it said "finished" nothing happened. So I tried exiting and continuing to Windows 10, but it went back to the BSOD.

Lastly, I tried an even older system restore point but when it finished an error showed up saying:
"System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. Details: System Restore failed while restoring the registry from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070002) You can try System Restore again and choose a different restore point. If you continue to see this error, you can try an advanced recovery method."

If anyone has any ideas on what to possibly try next to fix this issue that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
You mentioned some of the things tried in "Advanced" of "Start up repair" but you didn't mention if you tried the following option... so I am including the steps...

Try the following...
  1. Power off the laptop.
  2. Power on the laptop.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
  5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
  6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
  7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
  8. From here just follow the...
You mentioned some of the things tried in "Advanced" of "Start up repair" but you didn't mention if you tried the following option... so I am including the steps...

Try the following...
  1. Power off the laptop.
  2. Power on the laptop.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
  5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
  6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
  7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
  8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.

Solution
Mar 8, 2020
It should have both reset and refresh. If it isn't showing the refresh then there may well be something else going on.

I would suggest that you take it to a local tech then who can try and repair it and save the data for you.

I followed the steps and the only things showing up are Reset this PC and Advance options. There's no Refresh this PC in the Troubleshoot section or Advance options. The Reset this PC option has a discripton that says "Lets you choose to keep or remove your personal files, and then reinstalls Windows."

I tried Resetting the PC while keeping my personal files and it said "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

Status
Not open for further replies.