Solved! Lenovo G50-80 Laptop battery not charging. No LED light/No icon

Jun 20, 2020
Hello,

I have a Lenovo G50-80 laptop (80E501B2US ) that recently stopped charging. When the charger is plugged in there is no charging icon and the LED light does not light up.

I have replaced the DC jack and battery with brand new replacements. Neither fixed the issue. The charger is not the issue as well as I tried a different charger.

I have tried removing the battery, holding the power button for 30 seconds, putting the battery back, plugging the charger back... This did not work either

Does anyone know what the issue could be? I have some urgent work I need to get to and I have yet to find a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Solution
Hello,

I have a Lenovo G50-80 laptop (80E501B2US ) that recently stopped charging. When the charger is plugged in there is no charging icon and the LED light does not light up.

I have replaced the DC jack and battery with brand new replacements. Neither fixed the issue. The charger is not the issue as well as I tried a different charger.

I have tried removing the battery, holding the power button for 30 seconds, putting the battery back, plugging the charger back... This did not work either

Does anyone know what the issue could be? I have some urgent work I need to get to and I have yet to find a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Update: the issue was a faulty charger.

however I will clarify the...
Jun 20, 2020
Hello,

Update: the issue was a faulty charger.

however I will clarify the story in case anyone has a similar issue. I hope somebody can use the information in the story to help them resolve their issue.

In 2019 I had my DC jack replaced. Prior to replacing the DC jack, my laptop would only charge at very specific angles. Over the course of a couple months those angles became more and more specific until it eventually stopped charging entirely. I purchased a new charger which did not solve the issue so I took it to a shop to have the DC jack replaced. I was busy with a time sensitive project and needed my laptop Asap otherwise I would have done it myself (very helpful guides online) but after 3-4 days, I had my laptop back in perfect working condition.

Fast forward to 2020. I am again in the middle of a major time sensitive project (I swear I have the worst luck). My laptop randomly stops charging. It displayed no prior symptoms and was working perfectly til this moment. Normally I’d troubleshoot similar to the way I did in 2019, but I did not want to potentially waste 2-3 days waiting for a charger. I took it to a shop immediately to have it diagnosed.

I notified the shop that I doubt it is a DC jack issue as it displayed completely different symptoms as last year. I suggested it 1) may be a faulty charger 2) DC jack became loose and needs to be plugged back in 3) DC jack may be bad and need to be replaced.

the shop assured me they had a universal charger and would be able to diagnose the issue fairly quickly. They told me they’d have a diagnosis later that day or the next morning. (My mistake was not asking them to try the charger right then and there. Yes I understand shops may be busy but this is a fairly quick procedure. If it charged in the store it would save me valuable time/effort of making a second trip and I could keep the laptop in my possession and order a charger right away. So my advice, ask to try the charger in store before you drop it off!!!)

the next morning the shop calls me and notified me it’s a DC jack issue, to my surprise. I give them the okay to fix it. After some delays and poor customer service that I will not speak about, the shop notifies me that the new DC jack did not resolve the issue. They asked if I would be patient and wait for them to install a different DC jack, as the first one may be faulty. After trying the second DC jack, the laptop still does not work. 3(!!!) weeks later, I retrieve my laptop still not working and In worse condition than I brought it (story for another time). And by the way, did I say I was working on an urgent time sensitive project and needed my laptop? Well this completely ruined that.

Anyways, with the laptop in my possession I figure trying out a new battery. I order one on amazon (Non oem) and it does not solve the issue. After this I call numerous tech repair shops and describe the laptops symptoms prior to not working and that I replaced the DC jack and battery to no avail. I mention that the laptop starts up perfectly fine when it is charged. Many tech repairs suggested possible software related issues and motherboard issues. Nobody was really confident and wanted me to bring in the laptop for a diagnosis first ($$$). Plus you can imagine my reluctance after my poor experience earlier

a few days later I contact another shop and the individual was confident it was a faulty charger. I was surprised —I imagined that the first shop tested that. However he was very willing to let me come in and test two OEM Lenovo chargers he had.

i go in and sure enough it solves the problem. The repair technician suggested that if it was a software or motherboard issue, then I would have boot issues. But since my laptop starts up perfectly when the battery is charged, it is likely a faulty charger.

so my advice to everyone dealing with similar symptoms

1. perform the reset procedure for your specific laptop. Mine required me to take out the battery and hold power for 30sec or something like that. See if this solves the issue.
  2. try a (New) charger and determine if that fixes the issue.
  3. order a new battery and determine if this fixed the issue
  4. May need a dc jack repair. They cost about $10 and there are many helpful guides and YouTube videos online on how to fix it. If you have the skills and time, may be worth it for you.
beyond step 4 you may have bigger issues, software, motherboard? At this point you want to take it in to a reputable shop to diagnose.

Anyways I hope this helps. Whether your laptop was charging intermittently for months and then stopped or stopped randomly, I hope you can glean some information from this situation.

Solution