Lenovo G530 CMOS Battery

ITgreybeard

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Hello. My Lenovo G530 laptop CMOS battery was "tack welded" to tabs on the motherboard. Virtually the entire laptop has to be disassembled to get to it, in order to replace it.

When I levered the battery from its "tacked" tabs, it shot across the table and onto the floor, not allowing me to record whether the + side or the - side attached to the top tab.

Lenovo manuals that I have - even a repair manual for a slightly different model - give me no clue as to up or down orientation on the mobo side to which it had attached, and neither does any welding difference on the battery and tabs.

So does someone happen to know the CMOS battery orientation w.r.t. the attached mobo side, lest I take a 50% chance of really screwing up the board?

Thanks.

Solution
Hi, the positive side is attached to a resistor, it should be PR114. If you follow the trace from the positive pad you should end up with this resistor.

ITgreybeard

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

Perfect! Thank you!

The right lead connects to the PR114, and is attached to the bottom tab. So the positive side of the battery faces toward the board.

ITG