Lenovo G560 Won't Boot after dropping...

Faxanadu

Estimable
Dec 14, 2015
My Lenovo G560 (Windows 7) was dropped and the screen unfortunately cracked. Ordered a new matching screen and installed very carefully. Turned computer on and I get the initial "Lenovo" screen with the option to go into BIOS (i.e. press F2, F12, etc.). Then, after that I get only a blinking cursor in the upper left of the screen. I let it sit for a while, but eventually it will just repeat the cycle. I also tried a rescue disk, but after I got into it a bit, was shown a message about the partitions on the hard drive being incorrectly installed (or something like that). After repeating this, now I can't even get that window to show up.

I took off the bottom cover and made sure that RAM and HD were all connected/seated properly, which they were.

At this point, I am reaching the bottom of my very shallow cup of knowledge. Anybody have any ideas?

As a side note, we did have an external monitor hooked up to the PC at one point before we received the replacement screen and the machine worked. After that, though, we were not able to get the external monitor to work again, so we weren't sure why that happened.

When I use the rescue disk, I do see a very nice image of a green blade of grass on the monitor, so it seems that I have it hooked up correctly.

I can go into BIOS as well and make any selection, but once I try and load Windows, I still get that cursor on the upper left of the screen. And as I said, I will let it sit for 45 min - 1 hour and nothing really changes or it repeats.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance,

Diddy

Hi, it appears that the POST test stop Windows from loading, what you could do, you will test the HDD and the screen at the same time, you have to unplug the screen from the motherboard and use the external monitor. If Windows will not load, the HDD is defective, or Windows loads normally, the screen is not compatible. But I think the problem is the HDD.

Faxanadu

Estimable
Dec 14, 2015
Thanks for your response. I will try that this weekend and let you know. Is it difficult to disconnect from the motherboard on the G560? Can I do it from the access panel underneath? Also, if I do need to replace the HDD, do I just put a new one in and boot from the rescue disk?