Lenovo G570 not starting up

Aditya123456

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015
Hello, I got an old Lenovo G570 that does not perform any action when the power button is presssed.

When connected to the charger, the battery charges, and the light binks and changes color correctly as compaired to its hardware reference manual.
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/Lenovo%20G470G475G570G575%20Hardware%20Mainenance%20Manual.pdf
[Page 29]

But, it does not power on when
1) just the charger is connected,
2) Just the battery is connected
3) Both are connected
4) The above combinations with a different charger.

There is another button aside from the power button above the keyboard, which launches lenovo care, when the laptop is off. When I press this button, nothing happens, just the battery light blinks.

This laptop was working before.
Then for some 6 months, it was kept in a cupboard, without any weight on it to damage it in any way, and now it is not working.

Solution
I see. Well if it is still under warranty, then I would contact the manufacturer. If not then I would take it to someone (unless you can do it yourself) to see if the motherboard, etc., is actually getting power and if the power button is the problem.
Well, in such a case, it could still be the cord or the battery.

If the cord is damaged (and you don't have to see the damage) it won't power the device and charge the battery at the same time. Plus you could have the kind of laptop that just won't run if the battery is out. Some don't.

Or it could also be that the battery is dead, they do go bad over time, and needs to be replaced. If that is the case, then you would have to see if you know anyone with the same make/model and borrow their battery to test, or just purchase a new one if not. Just be sure you don't get an aftermarket battery as while aftermarket is great for some things, not laptop batteries or laptop chargers.

Aditya123456

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

I checked the charger voltage to be around 19.85 V, it is a 20V Charger, which is a problem since all other charger we have are less than or at 19V.

But, for 20V, isnt 19.85V fine? Or should I also check current?
Also, I don't currently have another laptop to check the battery.
Is there any way to check if the battery is still fine.
It did seem to hold charge for 2 days (as later on when I plugged in the power adaptor, the Battery LED was white (which meant more than 85% charge.).
Also, this means the battery charging circuit seems fine. So, what can it be?

Try charging it with the laptop turned on, and with it turned off. If it will charge both times, but faster when off, that is pretty normal.

If it won't charge when on, but will when off, then it is probably a problem with the cord.

Now if it makes no difference, off or on, and still not charging or not charging well, it needs a new battery.

Aditya123456

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

Sorry for the Late reply.
The problem is that the laptop does not do anything when the power button is pressed.
It does not turn on with the battery inserted/Battery+Charging/No Battery+Only Charger.
The power LED functions just as it is supposed to, but other than that the laptop performs no action.

I see. Well if it is still under warranty, then I would contact the manufacturer. If not then I would take it to someone (unless you can do it yourself) to see if the motherboard, etc., is actually getting power and if the power button is the problem.

Solution