Lenovo G580 freezing

kbronctjr

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
For some weeks it randomly freezes (it freezes one day and maybe the next one it doesn't), at first I can move my mouse and click things but its unresponsive, and a few seconds later the mouse freezes too. The laptop freezes and I can't do anything, neither the keyboard nor mouse responses...

A few months ago I changed the HDD to an SSD I was using on another computer which now have almost two years an a half (Corsair Force 3 120GB). Also I removed the DVD reader/writer and put the old HDD with a caddy instead.

I don't know which is failing, the sata controller or the SSD. Maybe the problem is with de HDD, but I think it wouldn't affect the functionality of the laptop as it doens't have the OS.

When this problem started I also ran a memtest and it seemed ok.

Hope you can shed some light on this issue.

Cheers

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Here are two checks you can do:

- Download and run Corsair SSD Tool Box and do a health check on the drive. If it checks out, you can run the optimization feature also.
http://www.corsair.com/it-it/force-series-3-120gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive

- Run a scan for Windows errors: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

In my experience, screen freezes are most often caused by driver errors and/or conflicts. Go to the support page and make sure that you've got the correct and up-to-date drivers installed. Make sure you get the right drivers for your specific model (G580 xxxx).

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g580-notebook

kbronctjr

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009

The SMART status its OK.

I tried sfc /scannow but it says (even in safe mode) :

"Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

With sfc /verifyonly it says:

"Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations"

I opened the log and encountered 2 integrity violations in some amd64 folders

volcanoscout

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Open an elevated command prompt - in your Windows search window, type "cmd". In the list that opens, right click on "cmd.exe" and select "Run as administrator".

At the command prompt, type "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth". Note the capital letters and space in front of each forward slash. This will take a little while to run, then when it's complete, reboot. Then run the scannow again, but do it from an elevated command prompt.

As always when dealing with OS's and drives, make sure your data is backed up first.

kbronctjr

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009

With "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" I get this error: The request can't done because of an eror in the I/O device (sorry for the translation)

kbronctjr

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009

Tried with Secure Boot disabled and enabled. With the usb stick inserted the laptop keeps rebooting when the lenovo logo appears.

At the end I gave up and I inserted again the dvd tray, burnt the win8.1 iso on another computer and reinstalled from there....

Hope the freezings don't come back

Cheers