Lenovo H330 - Error 1962 on startup - Clicking Noise at Boot and HDD not recognized in Windows Install

Picture

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hello, and Happy Easter!

I have had the Lenovo H330 now for a few years, it has ran fine until today. When I was using my computer this afternoon, I noticed that there was an I/O error in one of the applications, so I went to the directory in which the files of that application are installed and I tried to delete it, but then Windows started to give me I/O errors too, so I restarted my machine.

Then, I started getting Error 1962 Operating System not found when it boots to the Lenovo logo. It happened last weekend too, so I restarted and I went into the BIOS to check the boot order to see if it was booting into the harddrive.

I then started to notice that when it boots into the logo and before it gives me the 1962 screen, something in the computer clicks loudly [Video is attached]. I'd assume this is the hard drive doing this, I read something abou the click of death.

So after restarting, the computer just keeps giving me the 1962 error, and the BIOS is booting to the HDD first, but it isn't giving the HDD name which it should as it did last week. I then ran the PC Doctor diagnostic by pressing F9, and I ran a hard drive test, but it said Hardisk not detected. I immediately ran a system test on PC Doctor, and everything passed bar the hard disk. I then opened up the compter to see if any cables leading to the hard drive was lose, but they weren't.

Then, I took out my Windows 7 install disk, as I know you can choose what drive to install Windows on, and it didn't have my hard disk on there but some partition of about 3.9GB which I find extremely confusing.

If it helps, my computer performance was starting to decline last month, and my computer is free of malware and I look after it very well, and it hasn't suffered from any physical trauma.

Pictures/A video is attached to aid the explanation.

8P1WLv2.jpg

Pmsseht.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ya2azqtvagmo27/VID_20150404_180058.mp4?dl=0

That is the link to the video which highlights the clicking noise. You will need to turn your volume rather high to hear it I think

Thanks in advance.

Solution
The H330 is a Small Form Factor desktop machine, not a laptop. That's good since you should be able to put all those parts (with a replacement hard drive too) into a mid-tower chassis and go from there. That will also give you an opportunity to clean the components of dust - the H61 chipset with the 2nd gen Core CPU should still be a viable combination, I don't think I'd change anything other than the chassis and adding a hard drive. It may have a small form factor PSU also which would be tricky to mount in a tower chassis so you might want to look at a quality PSU also. Note: if looking to replace a PSU, do not cut your budget there, it is a vital part of the PC and everything the PC does depends upon it providing accurate power - we...

Picture

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Hi there. The capacity is 500GB, and I only have one drive so that one showing would be the only drive which is odd as it is showing 3.9 GB

Picture

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah. I think it is dead too. Do you think the click noise is the click of death too?

Do you think it is possible to salvage these OEM parts but the hard drive and put them all in a new case with a new PSU and a GPU? Or is everything proprietary and won't work with other cases?

Picture

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Easier said than done unfortunately. The insides are so hard to pull about as everything is insanely compact and I was looking to buy a new PC anyway. Do you reckon the insides can be salvaged?

The H330 is a Small Form Factor desktop machine, not a laptop. That's good since you should be able to put all those parts (with a replacement hard drive too) into a mid-tower chassis and go from there. That will also give you an opportunity to clean the components of dust - the H61 chipset with the 2nd gen Core CPU should still be a viable combination, I don't think I'd change anything other than the chassis and adding a hard drive. It may have a small form factor PSU also which would be tricky to mount in a tower chassis so you might want to look at a quality PSU also. Note: if looking to replace a PSU, do not cut your budget there, it is a vital part of the PC and everything the PC does depends upon it providing accurate power - we can help if/when deciding on a PSU

Solution

Picture

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Hi C12Friedman.

If I was to move all the parts to another case, and of course replacing the hard drive and the PSU, would it be viable to add in a graphics card to play games?

Edit - I remember when I opened up the computer, I found some huge rubber funnel thing over the heat sink fan of the CPU, and the fan was not mounted on straight. as in when you look at it it was orientated like a diamond. Would I need to put on the rubber funnel when moving the parts or can I make do without it?

Picture

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
I'm rather nervous about this as I have never actually built a computer before. What PSU would you suggest and when I remove the mobo, are the screws clearly marked on it, and I'm guessing the standoffs that come with it will be fully compatible with a new case? Which case would you suggest and graphics card for a build (re-using every part but the hard drive) to play games like Battlefield 4 for example at high or even medium?

When I remove the mobo, can I just remove the screws and completely take off the mobo without remove the heat sink and CPU?

Edit - I also want to upgrade the RAM completely to 8GB, would you suggest any particular sticks that are compatible?

McHenryB

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
Replacing the hard drive looks to be a very simple operation; certainly far simpler than putting the existing components in a new case: http://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User%27s%20guides%20and%20manuals/H305H310H320/Lenovo%20H3%20Series%20Hardware%20Replacement%20Guide.pdf .

Often these sort of machines have unique motherboards and power supplies that just won't fit in a standard case and cannot be substituted with standard components. I don't know if that's the case here, but if you were thinking of replacing the computer anyway I really don't see the point of going to that trouble. But to get it working again by just replacing the hard drive - and they cost next to nothing nowadays - seems more worthwhile to me.

A new case will come with all screws and standoffs needed to mount most any hardware that'll fit. You'll want to use the standoffs that come with the case.
Looking over some of Lenovo's documentation I'm seeing that there are two versions of the motherboard in the H330, one that does have a PCIe slot and also one that does not - I'm going to suggest looking at your motherboard to determine which you have - if the PCIe slot does not exist on you motherboard you would not be able to put a graphics card on it and I might then suggest looking to a new motherboard/CPU combo - you should be able to use your current ram still.
See if the PCIe lane is on your board, we can go from there

Picture

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

I can confirm there is a black slot beneath the CPU. Looks like it is a PCI e slot

Good, then it should be rather straight forward to swap cases and add a graphics card and PSU - at this point I'm going to refer you to our sister site, Tom's Hardware Forum, systems section http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html (you should log in automatically there, same login info as here) to start a "change case and PSU" thread - I'll be looking there. That'll provide you some other insight outside of my narrow scope along with (hopefully) more good information