Lenovo Ideapad 510s. Intel Hd Graphics 620 OR AMD R7 M460

IlPrincipino

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013
So I'm between these two laptops (80SV0056US, 80UV001BUS). Both have an i7, 8GB DDR4 and an SSD. The only difference is the graphics and the screen size. I'm going to use it with Linux (preferably Linux Mint, but I don't mind using Arch if I need to be on bleeding edge for better support).
The R7 M460 is a bit cheaper, though they cost roughly the same. The AMD + Linux scares me a little bit, though I don't have any previous experience with using AMD in Linux.

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
im not really experienced with linux things, but from some sources i read if the amd not accepted on linux, probably i recommend get the one with equipped intel hd 620. amd r7 m460 is a dedicated graphic card right? i guess its not a necessary to have it, especially you are going to use it with linux, so basically you are not going to use it for gaming right?

IlPrincipino

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

It's going to be for work only. I'm a data scientist so my interest is that i7. I'm leaning towards the one with the amd r7 right now, I've read cases of people that got it to work properly in Ubuntu. It's on a deal right now in Amazon so it's cheaper than the one with the AMD. It also has 14 vs 15.6 and I prefer 14.

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
so basically it all is up to you, if you have no problem with compatibility things. but my personal choice for work is the one without dedicated gpu, you can probably save power a bit, because even though the dedicated gpu not used, it may consume slightly more power when idle to make it keep steady, but i the one with amd dedicated gpu is also using i7 right? so basically it should has switchable graphic

IlPrincipino

Honorable
Jan 8, 2013

Yes, it's switchable !