Question Lenovo Ideapad shutting down when playing higher spec games and when plugged in

Sep 25, 2019
Hi,

Problem: Laptop completely shuts down when playing fairly demanding games and when plugged in. The laptop has had this problem for a while now (approx. 5 months). There was a period prior to this where it functioned fine, this was after another period where the problem first surfaced. For example, Total War Rome 2 runs for about 3-5 minutes while plugged in until the computer completely turns off without the shutting down screen appearing. However, when playing Minecraft for example, the computer functions just fine, despite being plugged in. I can play more demanding games without the computer turning off only when not charging.

I have so far completely reset the computer, and done a factory reset. Apart from this problem the computer is in, although roughly 3 years old, relatively good shape. I've been left in utter consternation in relation to how I can fix this problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

It is a Lenovo Ideapad 700, GTX 950M, Intel CORE i5-6300HQ CPU 2.30 GHz.

Could it be possible the charger is faulty?

Sep 24, 2019
Hmm, sounds like your Power supply isn't supplying enough power, resulting in your laptop shutting of.
This is a stupid diagnosis, but perhaps buy a new charger?
If that ain't fixing it something else might be faulty.

Sep 25, 2019
Hmm, sounds like your Power supply isn't supplying enough power, resulting in your laptop shutting of.
This is a stupid diagnosis, but perhaps buy a new charger?
If that ain't fixing it something else might be faulty.
Yeah so I'll probably start with that. If that doesn't fix it then I don't know what I can do.

Oct 2, 2019
It does sound like the power supply/charger. Just a quick thought, could you try removing the battery and playing without the battery, as a test. I don't know whether your system will allow that.