Lenovo Ideapad Y410p vs Y510p

NotSoSavvy

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Hey guys, I've decided that I will be purchasing an Ideapad from Lenovo. I was looking at the 410p and 510p because they both support Optimus and will save battery life (I will be getting the non SLI version). They main difference I see between these two is the resolution in the higher-end models (I won't be getting the standard HD models). I like pretty much everything better on the 510p (15.6 over 14.1, aluminum brushed cover, numpad, comes with a 24G SSD cache), but I'm worried that the 1080p resolution will be a bit too much from for a 15inch. I feel like HD+ is suited better for 14-15 inch laptops. I will be doing some average gaming on this as well as running some engineering programs (SolidWorks). Will the higher resolution give me significantly lower FPS and/or eat battery life faster when in normal use? Any thoughts? Thank you!

Solution
At the moment i don't believe it has sli (they say it will have it but i don't believe it is officially supported yet for the y410p, it wasnt when I got one), and it doesnt have as good a screen/ a smaller screen. I think lower-powered was the wrong phrase
what is the price difference?i know the y510p have an option for dual 750m but since you are getting the single card setup i would still go for the y510p.it has 2 usb 3.0 port for high speed transferring compare to the 1 usb 3.0 port on the y410p..yes higher resolution will affect the fps in games with the 750m, but you could always reduce the res in the game setting.get the 15 inch.you wont be missing anything on the 14inch model.also since both has optimus you can save battery life running on the integrated graphics instead of using the dedicated for normal use.

NotSoSavvy

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
The price difference between both models is around $50, which is fine with me either way. The 410p also has an option for dual GPUs. Hopefully, the resolution won't be too much or affect battery life by a lot. Also, what's the difference between playing a game with FHD at medium or with HD+ at high?

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I would go the y410p for portability reasons, but the y510p has more/better capable hardware (you can fit more stuff in). Lenovo also hasnt been great about releasing sli options for the y410p (although it just got refreshed so maybe they'll do it now).

Because the y510p has more powerful hardware chances are it will probably consume more power (depending on what's in there, sli gpu will obviously eat things right up). y410p gets around 5 hours with light use, probably 3-4 on moderate.

Some people are really nit-picky about displays, I find the y410p with the (i think it was HD+, I just remember it's the highest option on y410p) is more than enough for my uses. If i want my sword to look like it's really in front of me then i can head over to my desktop for the really nice graphics. For a portable gaming option it is more than enough for me.

Aside from the numpad (not something I really use) the y410p is pretty much the same in just about everything else ( I think they actually sell it with a better gpu than they offer on the y510p at the moment, although they are likely in the process of refreshing the y510ps as well). y410p is more portable at the cost of marginally lower-powered hardware. I would recommend the y410p, but both are perfectly fine.

NotSoSavvy

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
^^ What do you mean the 410p has lower powered hardware? I thought basically all the specs were exactly the same (with the exception of the resolution and the 24G SSD cache drive).

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
At the moment i don't believe it has sli (they say it will have it but i don't believe it is officially supported yet for the y410p, it wasnt when I got one), and it doesnt have as good a screen/ a smaller screen. I think lower-powered was the wrong phrase

Solution