Lenovo IdeaPad Y50-70 5942-7922

Elemential

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015

Yes it is, but don't expect 60fps on all games at ultra. It's a laptop after all and some games are poorly optimised

My friend got that model laptop and returned it. There's an issue with the SSHD. It's a WD drive, and apparently WD baked in a 4 min (or close to it) sleep timer into the firmware. That is, no matter what your power settings, the drive will go to sleep after 4 minutes of inactivity. The next time you need to access something on the drive, the system will freeze for a few seconds while it waits for the drive to spin up.

On a normal system, you'd just tweak the HDD sleep timer in Windows to something like 30 min so it wouldn't happen as frequently. But on this drive it's baked into the firmware and you can't change it. The only "fix" is to replace the drive with another HDD or a SSD.

Also, she complained about the low saturation of the colors on the screen. But it's not at all clear if she got the IPS or TN UHD screen. From reviews I've read, there are both types being sold out there.

danmoshe

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

so better to see and ask if there is a possible way to change the hdd before completing the purchase?

It's fairly simple to replace the HDD yourself. But you'll need to check on pricing for alternate models with a different drives. Figure out if it's most cost-effective to buy a different model or replace the drive yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nokHdiRW1_s

Also, you're in Israel and she's in Canada. It's possible they're using different parts in different countries, and the problem drive wasn't used in your country.

danmoshe

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

probablt i should go for seagate?

Elemential

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015

No! Seagate HDD's are known to fail after 18 months

danmoshe

Estimable
Feb 20, 2014

so what should i go with if there is a replacement?