lenovo l440 vs Asus X550LC- build quality, durability, flex issues, cooling

Nandhu001

Estimable
Sep 11, 2014
Hello guys, I am a computer science student and has been hunting for a durable and well built laptop for the past 1 month. After going through hundreds of reviews I found that it was a fight between lenovo and asus.
The two models I could afford (budget < $800) are

lenovo Thinkpad L440 core i3 and Asus x550lc

I know spec wise asus is a better choice but what I am more concerned is build quality,durability, cooling,keyboard and chasis flex and battery.

I will be doing a lot of coding and therefore keyboard must be good.
I know T440 may be a better choice than L440 but i cannot afford it. So please help me choose between the two. You are also welcome to suggest any other better models from these brands if they meet my preferences and will not exceed the budget drastically. Sorry but please suggest based on experience and model (L440) and not on the notion that thinkpads are generally well built.

Solution
The Lenovo ThinkPad L series would be more durable than the Asus. It is has gone thru MIL-SPEC / Military-Specification testing which generally means it is pretty rugged like if you were to drop it 6 feet onto a hard floor it will still function properly. This is one reason why it is likely to be more expensive than the Asus. Additionally, you get business level international tech support. If you were to travel with it to England and you are having problems with the laptop you can call tech support as long as it is still under warranty.

Because it is a rugged design the Lenovo should not have any flex issues. Additionally, ThinkPads are known for having very good keyboards, not quite as good as they used to be when they were still...

Bolin

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014
Asus is a very good brand as is Lenovo, you shouldn't see any differences in quality nor in durability. Asus has great cooling in all of their products and lenovo tends to have poor cooling but more light and thin products. The Asus has a keyboard with numeric keypad which the lenovo lacks of, However, The buttons may be bigger on the lenovo which is cool as you will be coding. The lenovo should have better battery life.

I would go go with asus if it has better specs. It has great build quality and has a great keyboard. I know this as I have one from the n series range. I have had very few problems with it and would recommend the brand to anyone. I can't say much about the lenovo as I have not used one.

The Lenovo ThinkPad L series would be more durable than the Asus. It is has gone thru MIL-SPEC / Military-Specification testing which generally means it is pretty rugged like if you were to drop it 6 feet onto a hard floor it will still function properly. This is one reason why it is likely to be more expensive than the Asus. Additionally, you get business level international tech support. If you were to travel with it to England and you are having problems with the laptop you can call tech support as long as it is still under warranty.

Because it is a rugged design the Lenovo should not have any flex issues. Additionally, ThinkPads are known for having very good keyboards, not quite as good as they used to be when they were still using the old style keyboards. So if accuracy "keyboard feel" is important, then the ThinkPad is the way to go.

Personally, I would get the T series, but you already stated that is too expensive...

Solution