Solved! Lenovo laptop won't charge after running out of battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2019
My fairly new lenovo ideapad 310-15ISK ran out of battery and now it won't charge. I am certain that the ac adapter and the power jack aren't damaged, the battery itself worked fine as well and showed no signs of damage before it ran out. I would remove the battery but it's built in pretty deep inside the laptop and I'd much rather leave it as the last option. Currently I have no way of contacting any repair services and I need to repair it as soon as possible. What could I do to fix it? (The small LED light doesn't turn on when plugged in and it has no reaction to the Novo button)

Solution
If the laptop is quite new, then there shouldn't be anything wrong with any of the parts. So it is going to depend on what you mean by 'new'.

Additionally, if 'new' then it should be under warranty. Which means changing anything or opening it up yourself would void said warranty. If that is the case, it is the manufacturer you should contact.

Now if it isn't in fact new, then you can try the following...

NOTE: Yes, I know some batteries are not so easy to get to, on some devices. However, it should be removable/replaceable. Unless it is under warranty, then you should contact the manufacturer first.

Try the following and see if it will turn on...

1. Unplug your charger cord.
  2. Remove the battery.
  3. Press and hold the "Power"...
If the laptop is quite new, then there shouldn't be anything wrong with any of the parts. So it is going to depend on what you mean by 'new'.

Additionally, if 'new' then it should be under warranty. Which means changing anything or opening it up yourself would void said warranty. If that is the case, it is the manufacturer you should contact.

Now if it isn't in fact new, then you can try the following...

NOTE: Yes, I know some batteries are not so easy to get to, on some devices. However, it should be removable/replaceable. Unless it is under warranty, then you should contact the manufacturer first.

Try the following and see if it will turn on...

1. Unplug your charger cord.
  2. Remove the battery.
  3. Press and hold the "Power" button for 30 seconds.
  4. Now plug back in the power/charger cord.
  5. Now put the battery back in.

If this doesn't help, then test the power cord to see if it is good. Either try your cord in another device, or try another devices cord in your laptop. You may also want to try charging it when the device is off, rather than on. If it works then, the cord is probably the issue.

Should that not be the problem, then check the battery to see if it needs replacing.

If you do not feel comfortable doing this yourself, then I would try a local tech.

Solution
May 4, 2019
I have the same problem. My Lenovo is not new (3 years old) and he isn't charging anymore. (It it plugged it, but not loading and the battery is almost empty). I went to a repair center, they replaced the HDD and reinstalled Windows, but, according to them, there is no problem with the battery or charger. Everything worked fine for about a day, but now the same problem reappears. Plugged in, not loading. I have not been visiting "shady" websites(so no torrents or streaming). Any suggestions?

I apologise if this message contains errors, English is not my native language.

Just because they said there is no battery problem doesn't mean there isn't one.

Typical reasons for a battery not charging...

1. The battery is going bad and needs replacing.
  2. The charger is going bad and needs replacing. A way to test for this is to try charging when the laptop is off. Not hibernate or sleep but off. If it will charge then, but not when on, then the charger is the issue.
  3. The charging circuit is damaged/shot, which could mean a motherboard replacement.

And visiting a 'shady' site wouldn't mess with a battery.

You might want to take the laptop to a different place to have it looked at. And if any parts do need replacing, make sure they use OEM parts and not aftermarket ones. Unless you want other problems.

Reactions: LindsayVL
May 4, 2019
Thanks for your answer. I will try to charge when off.

Edit : tried charging when off, but that didn't help. I can't boot the laptop anymore either, as the battery is empty. I guess it's time for a new laptop.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer. I will try to charge when off.

Edit : tried charging when off, but that didn't help. I can't boot the laptop anymore either, as the battery is empty. I guess it's time for a new laptop.

So charging did not work, and the laptop won't start when battery is dead. Did you actually try another charger or watched this repair place test it? Replacing the drive and new Windows for this issues was a waste of time and your money. Sounds like this place does not know what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.