Solved! Lenovo laptop won't turn on, spins fans when plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2018
I have a Lenovo Y 50-70. It was not being used for a long time, was not plugged in. Then I tried turning it on one day - nothing. Plugged it in - the fans started making whirring noises, but no lights came on, and it wouldn't turn on, nor would it turn the fans off if I held down the power buttons. I was pretty sure the charger was dead as it had been in bad shape (a puppy got to it). So I got a new charger, same deal of fans running when it's plugged in but stop immediately when it's not. And it won't turn on either way. No lights come on at all.

Things I have tried:
- unplugging the battery and charger, holding the power button for a minute, then plugging them back in and trying to start it.
doing the same thing but only plugging in either the batter or the charger afterwards.
- letting it charge all night (with fans spinning).
- BIOS reset by unplugging the CMOS battery letting it sit for 20 minutes, then plugging it back in
- powering up with only 1 stick of RAM
- removing both sticks of RAM and then putting them back in

Solution
You tried pretty much everything you could. Did you try turning on the system without the main battery and the CMOS battery? Try that. Also if it does not give you any error beeps when the RAM is removed and you try to turn it on, it points to a dead motherboard.
You tried pretty much everything you could. Did you try turning on the system without the main battery and the CMOS battery? Try that. Also if it does not give you any error beeps when the RAM is removed and you try to turn it on, it points to a dead motherboard.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.