Lenovo: quality and battery life of their work laptops for <550£?

Tomppi

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Hey guys!

I have been searching for a laptop for quite some time now without much luck. It seems as if one has to compromise with at least one or a couple of aspects of the laptop given the price range of <500£, but I can't seem to find "the sweet spot" so to speak. So here I am, consulting you, the wizards of Tom's hardware to assist me in my quest for finding an affordable and decent notebook!

I'm in search of a notebook with an SSD and i5 processor. No need for dedicated graphics since I won't be doing any heavy gaming on the machine. I prefer a smaller screen, something along the lines of 13,3-14 inches and battery life somewhere around 6 hours.

Thus far I've narrowed the search down to these two:
1) Lenovo 500-14ISK, i5-6200U, 8gb ram, 256gb SSD, FHD 14" screen. Price: 5500SEK (512£).
2) Lenovo IdeaPad 500S, i5-6200, 8gb ram, 128gb SSD, FHD 13,3" screen. Price 4900SEK (456£).

I'd like to know if you guys have had any experience with Lenovo? For example, how's the build quality?
What kind of battery life do they have?
Do their batteries wear out quickly (meaning that I'd have to swap the batteries out in like 2 years or so)?
Any other model or make that you would suggest instead of the two above?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Lenovo is rock solid, great build quality and great support. I have a t440 from 2014 with only 8% wear used daily. I love it. Batteries are literally unkillable. I had a crack from slamming it against a door accidentally while leaving a room which was not lenovo fault they sent me a box had it fixed in under a day. :)

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016
Lenovo is rock solid, great build quality and great support. I have a t440 from 2014 with only 8% wear used daily. I love it. Batteries are literally unkillable. I had a crack from slamming it against a door accidentally while leaving a room which was not lenovo fault they sent me a box had it fixed in under a day. :)

Solution

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

yep, thats a good decision, lenovo laptops are fantastic machines, probably the best build quality wise out of the standard laptop makers. :)