Lenovo T430 in 2015?

ln206

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hello all. Is this laptop too old? It came out in 2012 but now it is 2015. Do you think it will be a good buy? I'm just looking for a laptop for programming/school works ( I don't play game, editing music/video, etc).

Newegg website for Lenovo t430

Solution
Well seeing as how I'm writing this message on a Lenovo T430, I think it's a nice laptop. My school actually issues them out to students. It's pretty bulky given the hardware that's inside but the tradeoff is that it is quite sturdy. I've seen some of my fellow students knock them off a table and land on the floor screen first and still work just fine. You're looking into the model with 8GB of RAM which is good (we actually have the 4gb model). However the laptop you're looking at has only a 768p screen resolution which is kind of low but for what you're going to use it for you'll probably be just fine. I've used this laptop for Photoshop, programming, video editing, etc.

Here's a list of other things about the laptop:
-Really nice...

Trolling_Cyborg

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
Well seeing as how I'm writing this message on a Lenovo T430, I think it's a nice laptop. My school actually issues them out to students. It's pretty bulky given the hardware that's inside but the tradeoff is that it is quite sturdy. I've seen some of my fellow students knock them off a table and land on the floor screen first and still work just fine. You're looking into the model with 8GB of RAM which is good (we actually have the 4gb model). However the laptop you're looking at has only a 768p screen resolution which is kind of low but for what you're going to use it for you'll probably be just fine. I've used this laptop for Photoshop, programming, video editing, etc.

Here's a list of other things about the laptop:
-Really nice keyboard (No flex and the keys are nice and tactile.)
-The quality of the screen (color accuracy, viewing angles, etc) are pretty bad
-The screen can get really bright
-Built in speakers are okay, nothing special.
-Battery life will get me through the day at school (6:30AM-2:00PM) and still have about 30% left.

Solution

ln206

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Since you say it is bulky, does it feel heavy as well? I don't really care about resolution really, all I do is programming (using various tools like eclipse for Java, Microsoft visual studio for C, C# and SQL server) , web browsing or watching video. I'm pretty sure this laptop can handle what I'm going to use fine.

Trolling_Cyborg

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
It is pretty heavy, it's never been to the point where it's back-breaking but you will notice some heft if you were to try and carry it with one hand. I'm perfectly fine moving it around and using it on my lap though. The bulk really makes the laptop sturdy.