• MacBook Pro

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

nomadenigma

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
I'm looking for a new laptop and I like to get some suggestions/advices.

Which laptop should I get: Lenovo T61, LenovoT61p, or MacBook Pro?

Purpose: Mostly work, traveling, and sometimes games (occasionally, at least I like the flexibility to do so)

When I say travel, it means I take it (fly) to places for meetings and presentations

I'm also concern about Warranty and Service if I move from US to overseas and stay there for a year or so.
Who has better support?

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Both Lenovo/IBM and Apple have worldwide Service if you get it.

Apple was pretty helpful with my sister's Laptop went it crapped out while teaching in Korea, it's a bit of a hassle, but works.

As for your needs, gaming would make me suggest a MacBookPro using Parallels or BootCamp, but other than that both (all 3) are good options. The T61 comes with either the X3100 or GF8400M which both pale compared to the GF8600MGT of the MacBookPro.

Lenovogives you more customization options and have a better keyboard IMO.

The Apple has a backlit keyboard and an LEDLit LCD.

The LCD and graphics card would be enough to push me towards a MacBookPro; but man I do prefer IBM's keyboards compared to Apple's mediocre ones, but supposedly you get used to them.

BTW, I voted for 'OTHER' because I prefer other options like the ASUS G1S.

WoLpH

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
If you carry your laptop around a lot than I'd definately get the Thinkpad, those things are nearly indestructable and the MacBook specs are bad when compared to a Thinkpad with the same price (if you get a cheap seller that is, I'd try eBay).

TheGreatGrapeApe is wrong about the videocard though, the cheapest models have a X3100 but the better models come with an FX570M which is atleast as fast as the 8600M GT. If the 8600M GT has DDR2 memory than it's a bit slower than the FX570M, if it has DDR3 than it's just as fast.

For the rest I do agree :)
Apple has backlit keyboards, Thinkpads have a ThinkLight at the top so you'll be able to see the keys on your keyboard when it's dark.

And the LCD would push me more towards a Thinkpad than a MacBookPro. The MacBooks only offer 1440x900 at a 15.4" while the Thinkpad will give you 1920x1200 at a 15.4"
Big upgrade ;)

TheGreatGrapeApe

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Well considering the FX570M wasn't added to the T61 until July 17th before that it was the nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M, I wasn't wrong, just talking about the current models at the time I wrote my statement.

And the MacBookPro is GDDR3, so really considering the driver differences, if he's not using it for Proffesional 3D apps, and gaming instead, I'd stick with the standard laptop, unless he's got the proper experience moding drivers.

I too prefer the larger screen, so it depends on the value of LEDlit versus resolution there, otherwise the T61P has become more attractive than it was, but that was only AFTER they added the new graphics option.